mplayer/plugins/firefox/defaults/confusion

bigjohn

I've been meddling (again).

If I want to view video clips in firefox (or opera for that matter), some will open a dialogue offering totem (which I hate), some will just give me a black screen.

I have the xine-win32/win32-codecs etc etc packages installed.

I haven't managed to locate where to change the default video player.

When I check the help facilities, it seems to suggest a netscape page about plugins then just dumps me at a page offering netscape 8 for windows

It's all driving me up the wall :wall:

Now I know that I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but for the life of me I can't work out what it might be.

Is it an apparent default video application for firefox? or the whole of KDE ?

The firefox help facility seems to show loads of different file/mime(?) types for various types of applications - if I look, I can see 1

I know that opera seems to also use /home/user/.mozilla something something.plugins but I can't find it and it just errors

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

regards

John

For Opera if you use a version below the latest 9 beta, it can´t use the mplayerplugin unless you compile it yourself and modify the source code slightly. In the latest versions mplayer works for some, not for other, if it doesn´t you need to recompile with the --enable-x flag and use gecko sdk version 1.6 (but not higher or lower)

I have working versions, I could attach them if you want....

(btw: opera doesn´t use system settings but you have to set them yourselves in the prefences)

Edited by ffi

I just normally do:

urpmi mplayerplugin

and then it's working fine with Firefox. I use the Mandriva Firefox, rather than manual download. But you can easily fix this by symlinking your downloaded Firefox Plugins directory to the plugins directory that is used by Mandriva in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. For example, I had Firefox 1.5 installed in /usr/local/mozilla/firefox, and then I copied the contents of the plugins directory (libnullplugin.so or something like that) to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and then removed the plugins directory in /usr/local/mozilla/plugins and then did:

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins /usr/local/mozilla/firefox/plugins

so that whenever FF 1.5 looks in it's plugins directory, it's redirected to the ones in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins instead, allowing you to save copying files all over the place to other plugins directories under your home user account or wherever.

I think by default the plugins are installed in these paths:

/usr/lib/opera/plugins/

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6/

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/

you can check in Opera "Help->About Opera" your plugin paths and from "Tools->Advanced->Plugins" which plugins Opera sees. This way you can see which are your plugin paths and which ones are installed. (Opera uses these other paths as well, so it's easy to check)

~/.mozilla/plugins should be created for you during installation if you use the firefox from mozilla.org

on almost all of my recent firefox installs, it's been the directory previously mentioned by bigjohn:

~/.mozilla/firefox/plugins

I believe this is to keep the firefox and regular mozilla files in seperate dirs, I think this is done in case you use/need both and have different settings.

Well I am confused. I have been using firefox from mozilla.org for about 2 years now. The directory ~/.mozilla/plugins was created during my first firefox install and all subsequent upgrades worked with ~/.mozilla and all of its subdirectories without problem.

:unsure:

I think the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory would be used for user specific plugins, whereas /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins will be system-wide for all users to share and use.

I tend to normally use this directory, so that I don't end up having multiple copies of plugins.

I think the ~/.mozilla/plugins directory would be used for user specific plugins, whereas /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins will be system-wide for all users to share and use.

I tend to normally use this directory, so that I don't end up having multiple copies of plugins.

Which is one of the main reasons that I'm confused. Certain types of video media will kick open the Totem video player (which is the default, but I don't really like it so I'd like to use mplayer as the default). Other types of media (.wmv for example) just open as a black screen with "no input" or similar in the centre.

As far as I can see, firefox (the mandriva one) should be playing them as normal, but it's not. Plus, I've yet to work out how to change the default movie view to mplayer.

regards

John

I've yet to work out how to change the default movie view to mplayer

For KDE go to Contol Center -> KDE Components -> File Associations

Which I've done, and the damned system still opens .wmv etc with totem (which I hate but is still listed as the system default). mpegs now open with mplayer.

Any idea how I stop totem opening anything unless I specifically tell it too, and to make mplayer open just about everything else - videowise that is ?

regards

John

Edited by bigjohn