Guarddog or Shorewall [solved]

raffles10

I've started using Guarddog and I've stopped Shorewall and disabled it from loading at boot is this right ?

As I understand it they are both frontends for iptables so I don't need both.

Is Mandi another iptables frontend ? I'm a bit confused as to what I need to run, I want to use Guarddog to control port access.

I'm using Mandriva 2006 powerpack and dial up with kppp.

yes, both shorewall and guarddog are iptables front-ends. if you want to use guarddog you should disable shorewall, but i believe you need to have guarddog started somewhere along the way - be it at boot or after you login.

it's my understanding that guard dog creates a file, /etc/rc.firewall, which mandriva should run at boot time. check to see if the file exists, and see if a process named similarly is running:

ps -fu root | grep firewall

I tried to start iptables from MCC and it still shows as stopped. It says in the Guarddog manual that Guarddog does not have to be running for it to protect your system is the same is true for iptables ?

I tried the quickscan at sygate and all showed as blocked, so I don't know if everything is working exactly as it should but it seems to be doing the job.

• 3 weeks later...

Just so you know - Guarddog (my personal fave) creates your firewall rules (as mentioned above) but doesn't need to be running. Basically, the rules are created or changed by guarddog, then you can close it. The system will apply the rules whenever the network interface is started (including while you're booting up) so you don't necessarily need a firewall service running all the time like you would in windows.

Hope that helps ;)