ATI driver update

isadora

Since installing the latest version of ATI-drivers on Mandriva 2006 problems are occuring during switching sessions.

When switching to a new session and closing that second session, only a black screen with mouse-pointer returns.

There's no way of getting back a graphical user-interface.

The only thing remaining is resetting the system through the reset-button.

Anyone else having this problem, and/or having a solution?

Thanks in advance

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I would only reboot the x server. It should not be affecting the system. When I switch sessions with my nvidia drivers, x always restarts. Sounds like the ati driver is not doing that, so use a control-alt-back to reboot x.

I would only reboot the x server. It should not be affecting the system. When I switch sessions with my nvidia drivers, x always restarts. Sounds like the ati driver is not doing that, so use a control-alt-back to reboot x.

It ain't a problem with the ati drivers, they work fine on Fedora, but like the O/P I was getting the whole black screen fiasco, but then I scribbed my Mandy partition.

It ain't a problem with the ati drivers, they work fine on Fedora, but like the O/P I was getting the whole black screen fiasco, but then I scribbed my Mandy partition.

I am curious, as to what you mean with "scribbed my Mandy partition". First of all, I'm not familiar with this expression and second, did it work?

Another note, the drivers from ATI are very new, in that they are finally working with linux rather than ignoring linux. But, it also means that they might not be as flexible as nvidia, for example. Actually, nvidia in the last fedora was a nightmare because of ....Fedora! :lol: