Which "version"?

bigjohn

The "boxed set" of 2006 that I got, has 2 DVD's in it, marked 32bit and 64bit.

My great aunt recently got a virus on her XP box. The chap who helped her sort it out, advised her that she'd be better off with Linux for browsing/email (in truth, she only really needs windows for adobe photoshop).

I've offered to show her a live CD version, and if she likes it, set up a dual-boot.

Her XP box is AMD 64 based, so is that the same as the 64bit DVD of 2006, which is marked as x86_64 or is there a different version for AMD based systems?

Sorry if thats a dumb question - I haven't used any 64 bit systems yet.

TVM

regards

John

Your guess is right. The x86-64 DVD is for the AMD Athlon 64. :)

PS: In case you run into trouble with the 64 bit version, you can still install the standard 32 bit version on that box.

Oh right. Thats excellent. Thanks very much artic.

It's quite hard to convince her (I've been trying since before she got this current "box" - "Oh, well, I don't know, I'm getting too old for all this" etc etc - she's 77).

It's taken the comment from her friends son, who's doing a computing/IT degree course at the local Uni and a virus infection on the system to realise that windows, however well protected, can still pick up virii, malware, trojan, etc etc.

It's quite annoying, because it's me thats always first when she needs help, yet setting up her XP install as multi-user i.e. root/admin and a user account, was "all too much trouble" (she'd only just moved from Win98 at the time and no amount of explaining would alter her attitude).

I'll take both discs with me from the 2006 pack, and I've downloaded a 64 bit version of Kanotix as well as the 32 bit version I keep available for me.

Ha!, relatives! Who needs 'em eh ? :D

regards

John

Yeah, I know that. I am also the one that my family and some relatives call on a regular basis if they have a computer problem (which is almost every week, and 90% of this is due to mistakes made by the users). :rolleyes: