sound problem - memory/cpu usage

bigjohn

In this thread I explained that I was having problems with Amarok and Kscd.

Well, whatevers wrong, it seems that with Amarok (and possibly Kscd, but I haven't checked that, as I don't normally play CD's), my system is using massive amounts of both cpu and memory resources.

IRO 90% cpu and 10 to 20% memory after 5 to 10 seconds of playing. Which drops/climbs to about 50% cpu and 90+ % of memory.

It's at that point that I'm getting the "skipping" and GUI freezing issues.

I've dug around some, and found one suggestion that said about using the Amarok Xine or Amarok gstreamer engines. I've installed the Amarok Xine engine, but how do I make use of it so I can see if it makes any difference?

Or maybe theres something else that I can do to sort this problem ?

If I use Juk to play music, both the cpu and memory usage is minimal.

regards

John

Thankyou for the pic devries.

Where would I find the configuration screen for Amarok ? I have no menus available - plus there seems no way of turning this facility on.

Could you possibly advise me where I might find this ?

regards

John

Damn! How stupid of me to have not "twigged" that one.

Never mind. I actually managed to change it by uninstalling amarok and the various "engines" then re-installing just the amarok and the Xine engine.

It didn't make any difference.

On checking, with "top", it was still showing cpu of 95.1% and the memory was at 75% and climbing.

I'll change it to the gstreamer engine and check that.

many thanks for the pictures. Very much appreciated.

regards

John

Ok, changing to the gstreamer engine seems to have done the trick.

Checking "top" now, shows cpu usage at between 2-3% and the memory usage max'd at 5.2% (I presume it's as high as that, because all my music is ripped as FLAC - I have a Rio Karma that supports it :D ).

Strange though, I wonder if it's because of how it's compiled into the binary from Mandriva ???

regards

John

I think there were some problems with the xine engine. What version of amarok are you using?

1.3.1-3mdk is the installed version.

Though this does seem rather strange, because I've not had this problem previously i.e. when it was first installed - then I started meddling with KDE (3.5.0, 3.5.1 and 3.5.2), but as the upgrades for 3.5.2 included upgrades to the nvidia driver which caused problems with the X server - I ended up leaving things as per the original install with kde 3.4.2, amarok 1.3.1-3mdk etc etc (and the original install would have used the same version and the arts engine).

Except this time - this freezing/skipping problem arose.

Which is why it does seem a little strange.

regards

John