creating my first web page - just playing...

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I am learning HTML now, and I was wondering how to put a simple html page on the web, just for practicing.

My ISP said that they gave me some web space on their server.

this isn't a real llink obviously, but this is something like what they gave me -

http://members.ispname.net/~myname/

and I was wondering how I put anything into my "web space". I'm not asking how to code a simple html page, I'm asking how to put one in my web page so that I can get some friends to go to it and check it out.

I know this is probably a retarded question, but I thought I would ask for some pointers here. The guy that owns the isp is not very helpful usually.

You will need to be able to access the space your ISP gave you via FTP.

I don't know a single code of HTML, but Mozilla's Composer lets me get around. Create a single page like you would create a text document and name it "index". Just create one with the words "Under Construction" or something and upload it through your favorite FTP program. When that's done, lets check it out and move on to another topic. You'll be creating decent pages in 4-5 days. :)

Tell me when your done.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

thanks ral. That seems like what my book is saying, except my book left out the part of how to get the html file to the isp server directory.

My book says (like you also said) to make a file called index.html and put it in your website dir. It could have mentioned how to get it there! :?

You need to use an ftp program. Try this..

In a console, type

ftp

and then

>open ftp.yourserver.com

>user

enter your username

enter your password

>cd /httpdocs (depends on where your webserver is located)

>put yourdoc.html

Or you can look for any number of ftp programs that have a graphical interface. Little easier to use.

But basically if you want ot put and get files from your ftp site, then you need an username / password.

For gui ftp proggies, I like gftp. It lets you bookmark your site so you don't have to type in your username and password each time. The trick is you gotta remember that everything needs to be transferred in ascii mode except for images (and maybe ound files and .js or .java files....not sure) The default mode for gftp is 'binary' which i don't think will matter too much with .html files, but it matters with executables like .pl or .cgi files which you probably aren't allowed to use anyway.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

thanks guys. I have to mention though, that the courses I am taking at my online college require a windoze computer. Therefore, while I am taking these courses, I have my mdk 9.0 box disconnected and on the floor next to my desk. I have been using my win2k box for all college work, including online chats with students and teachers, online assignment uploading, and online test taking. Also the CD software that comes with my textbooks - VB, etc, requires windoze.

If I have any questions regarding any technical assignments, or programming, I'll try to keep them "general" and not specifically for windoze. FTP & html isn't really platform specific so I didn't think anyone would mind questions. (When I start my VB class, I'll try not to come here for help - I know you all hate it...! :lol:

Getting back to the point of the original question, well, I have d/l'd the free version of WS_FTP to use. However, I can't get a connection to my isp server. I have talked to my isp provider, and they said it was fine to use WS_FTP, and they told me what to enter for hostname, userid, and password, but I still can't get the connection. I will get help from my isp, though. I'll be back when I get it working!!

Trying going into your options and select 'Passive' if it is not selected or deselect it if it is. Also make sure your username and password are saved. There's lotsa other things that could cause it. You can email me offboard if you want, but my memory of WS_FTP is shaky...it's been a while. I think I can still help you though.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

thanks steve.

I just got an email from my isp, and they said that they are having the ftp problem, so its not my fault. :roll:

Hopefully they will get their act together soon. Guess I'll put aside my Internet book for a few days, and get back into my Psychology class.

Not to take you away from your Psych studies, why wait for your ISP to fix their problems when you could sign up for some other free web space. Cnet.com reviewed five popular choices here:

http://www.cnet.com/internet/0-3799-7-1554905.html

or search Google for "free web space" --- there is plenty out there for what you want to do.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

hmmm... thanks. I didn't think to try to get free web space at the other places.

I checked out the review of yahoo geocities, and it sounds good. However, I never liked yahoo, and usually stay away from their sites, cuz they aren't good on privacy issues - they track people and sell the info. I never wanted a yahoo id or a passport id either. Any thoughts? Am I paranoid?

Guest FenestraeNunquam

While I'm waiting to get something uploaded to a web server, I'm playing around with HTML code. Learning stuff like FONT colors, sizes, etc.

When browsing the web, I select File/Open, then browse to my different html test files to see how they display. Anyway, everything works ok (fonts & colors) but I can't make any change to font sizes. It all displays the same size, even if in different colors or font faces. My book says to use <FONT SIZE=+3> or <FONT SIZE="6"> or whatever. However, using either of those makes no diff to the size displayed.

This belongs more in programming, but oh well...

Huummm that is rather odd

I just did some checking with an HTML editor

<font size="10"> Text </font>

Works just fine. Are you just using a text editor or are you using one of the HTML editors avaialble for Linux?

Quanta comes with MDK 8.2 (power pack)

There is Amaya http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

I do most of my web stuff with WYSIWYG in Windblows (Net Objects Fusion), but I have used Page Mill, and Go Live too...as well as Coffee Cup

People at Coffee cup used to offer a Linux version, I see that they have dumped that...too bad as it was also free and worked well.

I'm thinking you may have missed a closing tag somewhere, thereby leaving the font size set to just one size. Just make sure all the font sizes are in quotes and all the </font> are in place and see if that fixes this.

ex:

<font size="10">Text</font>

<font size="+2">More Text</font>

Then we can try getting a bit fancy:

<p align="center"><font face="arial, helvetica" size="+2" color="#FF0000"><b><i>Big Bold Red Italicized Text</i></b></font>