Program Dependencies

For some reason, I've been having a lot of trouble with program depencies when installing programs from source tarballs. As an example, I downloaded the libcdio tarball, got it installed with no problems, then I downloaded the vcdimager tarball, when running the configure script, it tells me that the libcdio package wasn't found even though I know it's there. I've had the same problem with other programs, even after installing the required packages in the proper places, the configure script won't find it. Could it be that I download the tarballs and install them in my home directory? That's the only thing I could figure.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Check if there is a readme file in the tarballs (there should be one). That file usually tells you what prefix you need to add to the configure command (e.g. --prefix=/usr).

ok, i've tried every command line option i could find after checking ./configure --help, checked the readme file, absolutely no help, this thing refuses to cooperate! is this something peculiar to the mandrake platform? i am not a programmer, although i am enrolled in school to learn that very thing, but this can't be that complicated! should i just wait until i've got a few semesters under my belt, or is there a simpler way to do this???

MCC

Mandrake Control Center.

Under System-Configuration- Configure your computer.

or from a command line mcc

then select software management.

If you have not been here before select

"Select from where...." and then press the add button it should give you some easy options then after this leave that and go to.

"look at installable..." the icon with the Plus..

Fine tuning of the installation directories:

--bindir=DIR user executables [EPREFIX/bin]

--sbindir=DIR system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]

--libexecdir=DIR program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]

--datadir=DIR read-only architecture-independent data [PREFIX/share]

--sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]

--sharedstatedir=DIR modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]

--localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]

--libdir=DIR object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]

--includedir=DIR C header files [PREFIX/include]

--oldincludedir=DIR C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]

--infodir=DIR info documentation [PREFIX/info]

--mandir=DIR man documentation [PREFIX/man]

Try that. But if you just want to install the program and are not building it for fun you really should install an rpm. If you can't find it you haven't setup urpmi correctly. Read the wiki (link at top of the page) for more information.

ok, i was able to find an rpm package for the programs i needed, although i still prefer to compile and install programs from source, even though i'm still not 100% sure what i'm doing, but i'm learning. thanks for the pointers, i'll try them out next time i have trouble trying to compile a program.

chances are compiling from source won't provide any advantages to installing an rpm, and will cause some major headaches. unless you set optimization flags for your compiles there won't be any advantages, and even with optimizations it's still arguable that you gain any measurable advantage.