lilo MCC config error

sn8kman

No, PXE is network booting, nothing with LILO. Normally a service you run on a server, and then when you attempt to boot from the network card in your machine it should find the PXE server and connect to it to do whatever.

That's what I thought, but the description of the RPM file in RPMdrake seemed a bit ambiguous about the network booting being PXE (or vice versa). :wacko: Thanks again! :bananacha:

Ok, I think I figured out what I did to break graphical Lilo. I was installing some themes from KDE-look.org (I think it was ThinkLinux or something like that for LILO) and the instructions told me to install a certain version of Lilo that's much older than 22.6.1. I think it was 21.x.x or something like it. Anyway, the installation failed but left me with a working Lilo text and a broken Lilo graphical (because I think it instructed me to delete the files ie:rm <lilo graphical>. :woops: So, what should I do now? I noticed there's Lilo 22.7.1 available now, but I'm afraid to break it again by going to a different version than 22.6.1. Any suggestions? :oops: (Disclaimer - I could be totally wrong about all of this as I'm a MCSE whose trying to leave Wyneblows behind) :help:

Just thought I'd let you all know - my hard drive just fried somehow - went *zap!* and then no more /dev/sda which was my /root, /usr and /home drive. Something in the internal hard drive controller card fried since it won't even spin up now. :wall:

I went out and got 2 200GB SATA drive and I'm thinking of software mirroring my /home folder since everything else is on an IDE drive and is only downloads and ripped CDs.

You can try to reactivate the drive for saving data by freezing the drive for some time(put it into a plastic bag before you put the drive into the freezer), then it might be able to boot up once again before it completely dies. I saved 4 GB of data that way once.

Yes, the deep freeze trick is good for restoring data out of failed HD's. You will probably have a couple of chances getting whatever is usable from there (while the drive is still cold and can spin), but after a few tries it will get dead for good- so you do have to act quickly!

This is a tips and tricks that I wrote for software mirroring with Mandriva.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30591

it work's, I've done it with my system, but you can't do it natively with the GUI installer.

Yes, the deep freeze trick is good for restoring data out of failed HD's. You will probably have a couple of chances getting whatever is usable from there (while the drive is still cold and can spin), but after a few tries it will get dead for good- so you do have to act quickly!

Yeah, unfortunately it's not the spinning issue that's the problem - the little "card" on the hard drive isn't supplying power to the drive for it to attempt to spin. I suspect I fried one of the pathways on that card. In the good ol' days we used to pull a card off another drive or use a special "recovery tool" which was a glorified universal card with DIP switches on it. Get data off, power down, put original card back on, ship off for warranty replacement. I suppose those days are gone, eh? :cry: