package dependencies....

TheCrizu

I would like to ask about package dependencies,since i think i'm having some problems.When i try to install some programs,i'm getting message "sorry,this can't be selected",that,of course,is not problems yet,but i take example:

Some time ago i tried to install "Scilab",just to see what it was,and there was a message concerning additional packages needed.There was about 35 packages,including: -Mozilla firefox,timidity++,podracer,etc...a packages definitely not needed by that program.What could "mess up" things like that? :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

The dependencies can look a little strange sometimes. And some of them require some components and usually are the way it's been set up by the packagers who created those packages. Not a lot you can do except grin and bear that it will install all those packages whether you don't use them or not. The main package you want will require something from those packages for some reason.

If you get problems installing a package because it can't find a dependency, this usually means that you haven't got all your easy urpmi sources configured. You should have main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates. If one of these is missing, then you're likely to have problems when installing. Also, if the mirror is down, then you will also have a problem, because it won't be able to download the package.

Not a lot you can do except grin and bear that it will install all those packages whether you don't use them or not. The main package you want will require something from those packages for some reason.

But when i compiled that from source,i still had'nt them,and it worked fine.

That scilab was scientific program,used probably only in some nuclear physics lab,it CAN'T require a podracer.As it wasn't.

Is it dangerous/not recommended,concerning this issue,to have cooker repositories in drakconf,just for a case i need some more recent version from some software?i dont use them regularly,only when i need something from there.I use mandriva 2006.0

Unfortunately, Mandriva created the packages, so no-one knows except them why they have such bizarre dependencies!!!!!

Cooker repositories are OK, but expect the apps you install from them to be unstable, so if something doesn't work, you'll have to wait for the stable release, which is unlikely to ever be in cooker repo's.

Try:

man urpmi

I'm pretty sure there is a command, but you might have problems with your system if you don't install the dependencies, but you can try it and see what happens.