Mplayer with Windows Media Support [solved]

Turb0flat4

I need to play a couple files with extension wmv (Win Media 9 encoding). The mplayer I got with urpmi mplayer cannot play these.

How do I install the needed Win32 codecs into the rpm based install ? I tried compiling from source but the gcc version I have (4.0.1-5mdk) is not supported by MPlayer developers who claim to only support gcc 2.95 and gcc 3.x

I tried compiling with gcc check disabled in the configure script, but there were errors on make. So I can't install this program this way. These were the errors :

In file included from libpostproc/postprocess.c:655:
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c: In function 'do_a_deblock_MMX2':
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:2901: error: memory input 4 is not directly addressable
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c: In function 'postProcess_MMX2':
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:3510: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 6 of 'blockCopy_MMX2' differ in signedness
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:3656: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 6 of 'blockCopy_MMX2' differ in signedness
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:3757: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 4 of 'tempNoiseReducer_MMX2' differ in signedness
libpostproc/postprocess_template.c:3781: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 4 of 'tempNoiseReducer_MMX2' differ in signedness
make[1]: *** [libpostproc/postprocess.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/deepak/apps/tmp/MPlayer-1.0pre7try2/libavcodec'
make: *** [libavcodec/libavcodec.a] Error 2

OK, so is there any way I can view Windows Media video with this thing ? Thanks, appreciate the help.

All I normally do is:

urpmi xine-win32

which should also install win32-codecs as well. I use kaffeine to playback and it all works perfectly fine for wmv files on my system, running Mandriva 2006.

You need to install the codec package for mplayer, not xine. :)

But can one do that with an installed mplayer binary (installed with urpmi) ? I always thought I need to compile from source for new codecs - not true ?

I was using xine as an alternative - seeing if I could get the xine win codecs working with xine to view the file. Unfortunately I couldn't.

EDIT : I think it's the files themselves that are corrupted. I can view other .wmv files off the web. BTW, Ian is right : now I can view wmv files with mplayer - apparently the codecs are accessible by mplayer too ! That's cool.

Edited by Turb0flat4

Prebuilt win32codecs packages are sometimes crippled (not in my disto, Arch Linux, but it happens in many others). Since all the files in that package are static, the best solution is getting the full codecs package from the mplayer site and extracting it at your mplayer addons directory.

Prebuilt win32codecs packages are sometimes crippled (not in my disto, Arch Linux, but it happens in many others). Since all the files in that package are static, the best solution is getting the full codecs package from the mplayer site and extracting it at your mplayer addons directory.

Do you know where the urpmi installs the codecs by default (so I can manually add to it) ? Thanks.

This will sort you out:

rpm -ql win32-codecs

the ql (QL) command lists files based on the package name provided.

As an :offtopic: note about Arch Linux, it's codecs are partially screwed for some wmv's. Some I couldn't play in Arch, but they worked perfectly fine under Mandriva. Otherwise, it was mostly OK with it's codecs. I like Arch, but there are some problems with it, including that I couldn't get my printer to work under KDE - wouldn't print. I've since reverted to Mandriva, because I can also use my Lotus Notes under wine, which I can't with Arch.

This will sort you out:

rpm -ql win32-codecs

the ql (QL) command lists files based on the package name provided.

As an :offtopic: note about Arch Linux, it's codecs are partially screwed for some wmv's. Some I couldn't play in Arch, but they worked perfectly fine under Mandriva. Otherwise, it was mostly OK with it's codecs. I like Arch, but there are some problems with it, including that I couldn't get my printer to work under KDE - wouldn't print. I've since reverted to Mandriva, because I can also use my Lotus Notes under wine, which I can't with Arch.

Thanks, I did that, but it's no good for these files. I'll see if I can play them under Windows when I boot into it next.

BTW, I did "ldconfig" after installing the codecs in /usr/lib - Is that sufficient ?

And when exactly are "ldconfig", "modprobe" and "depmod" necessary (I mean, after what sort of changes). Thanks, and sorry for the slightly off topic enquiry.

Edited by Turb0flat4