software suspend

Guest tims

hi all

please can someone help me on how i can suspend or hibernate my linux laptop as an option to end my session.

thank you for your replies

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Not sure if this will work, but try this.

1. System/Configuration/Configure Your Desktop.

2. Power Control/Laptop Battery.

3. ACPI Config tab and click Setup Helper Application.

4. Click Continue and enter root password.

5. Tick all the options you want.

6. Reboot your computer.

Not sure if you'll get an option to click to get suspend. Try shutting your laptop lid and see if it goes into suspend automatically this way. I normally do this to put a machine in suspend mode.

The best solution is building a kernel of our own with swsusp2 (see the Iphitus links for his nice "beyond" patchset, which AFAIK is usable even in oldfashiond Mandriva):

http://iphitus.loudas.com/beyond.php

Don't ask me though how well 2.6.16+ kernels work in Mandriva... my guess is not terribly well (oldfashioned initscripts), but I may be wrong.

As I found in my post recently, you can upgrade your kernel, but expect problems due to patches applied by Mandriva, and also their config tools stop working. But other than that the system is fully usable without problems.

Some of the problems can be fixed, some others can't. But they are only minor.

thanks guys for your response.i tried ianw1974 advice and it worked but on resuming my work, the computer could not startup until i rebooted.maybe i can try to upgrade the kernel but i dont know how?

can someone help please?

What's your current kernel?

uname -a

will tell you what it is, and post here, then we can show where to go next. Mandriva provide kernel updates, and are a lot better than trying to compile your own, given that I've done this and found a few niggling problems.

OK, you can upgrade to a later kernel 2.6.12.18 is the latest released using the mandriva repositories.

Make sure you have set up your easyurpmi repositories (using easyurpmi link at top of this page), I add them all - main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree. Then just:

urpmi kernel-2.6.12.18mdk

reboot, and your system will then be running the newly installed kernel. Later, if you want to remove the old one:

urpme kernel-2.6.12.12mdk

and that will remove the old one, just don't do this until you've made sure your system boots correctly with 2.6.12.18.

i have installed the easyurpmi repositories then after i #urpmi kernel-2.6.12.18mdk (under root) this is the output - no package named kernel-2.6.12.18mdk.what am i missing please?

thank you

What repositories do you have?

[ian@esprit ~]$ urpmq --list-media
main
contrib
jpackage
plf-free
plf-nonfree
updates

this is what I have listed on mine. Maybe you're repositories is missing something. If I type this on mine:

[ian@esprit ~]$ urpmf --name kernel-2.6.12.18mdk
kernel-2.6.12.18mdk:kernel-2.6.12.18mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

it tells me this kernel is available for install. The same command above should list the same for you providing you have all the repositories I listed above. Your CD/DVD media will also be listed, mine isn't because I'm not using it.

after code urpmq --list-media this is what i get :

The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom1)

The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom2)

The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom3)

The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom4)

The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom5)

The Ultimate Linux Desktop DVD (cdrom6)

update_source

main

contrib

updates

jpackage

plf-free

plf-nonfree

then : urpmf --name kernel-2.6.12.18mdk i get nothing.