Remote Control for X Server [solved]

ianw1974

I want to be able to remote control X running either Gnome or KDE. This would need to be controllable from Linux workstations as well as Windows based workstations.

What app could I use to do this? I know of vnc, but wondering if there is anything else I can use?

Or alternatively, how would I be able to display X applications being ran on the server to my X desktop on my Linux based laptop? This might be an option.

Would it be possible to use the xserver functionality, to display apps remotely on other machines. Does anyone know how to do this, or is it just too difficult and not worth the effort, and just to use vnc or something instead?

I'm just wondering whether vnc would be too slow, than to utilise something else perhaps.

freenx always ran rather fast for me.

if you just want to run one app at a time, there is an ssh option to allow the system you connect to to send the program to the x-server on the system you're on. of course, the ports need to be available for this to work. I believe it's the -X option. Read this, or just google for "ssh x11 forwarding" for a whole list of articles on this.

if you want something piss easy, use kde, go to kcontrol, go internet + network, desktop sharing, set it up, hit ok, you've got VNC running.

now use vnc, or krdc from a client elsewhere.

if it's just on lan, then you should be fine, though i wouldnt use it across the net.

as for ssh X11 forwarding, enable it in the sshd config on the server, then when you ssh in, do ssh -X user@host. then you can just run any x11 command and it will come up. dont even think about doing this across the internet, i did it once on a server in canada and ETerm took half an hour to load.

Depending on what you are trying to serve and how far and for how many users.

If you just need some remote repair facility i use SSH..

If you need Access to the desktop to show a user how to do something i use VNC.

If you need a Server to serve multiple GUI applications to multiple users (on LAN) i use the terminal services..

I installed the Mandriva version find it under the drakwizard.. May have to play with the exact packages and set up but it works well.. we have 20+ users (network boot and run off the server)..

so there are your choices..

All dependant on your main use for the application..

Yes, I'm after sharing gui apps from the main server. So terminal services, would that be this:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name terminal-server
terminal-server:terminal-server-1.5-24mdk.noarch.rpm
terminal-server-localdevices:terminal-server-localdevices-1.0-3mdk.i586.rpm

is that the package you used? I don't see anything with drakwizard that relates to this.

You need to start X with listening on TCP ports...

I don't know about mandriva but this is often disabled by default.

If you ps -ef | grep X check to see if it has a 'nolisten' option added on the end.

This is usually added in the xinit

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

It is also passed as an option from gdm or kdm and so you need to find the directory and just edit out the -nolisten TCP option

You also need top then add the host to allowed hosts....

xhost + can be used (see man) obviously its better to only add the IP's you want for security reasons.

you also need to set the display env var on the 'server'

export DISPLAY=x.x.x.x:0.0

to open the display on the IP x.x.x.x with Xclient 0.0

Nothing beats NX though ...

I use simple X forwarding over ssh for everyday things .... for instance I have a gtk-gnutella running in my DMZ which I display on my main PC just using X forwarding over ssh BUT if I run a session I use the NX server/client

You can make a simple script to log you in over ssh AND set the envvar .. if you purely use that machine remotely you can even set the DISPLAY envvar in the .bashrc for a user ir create a user which pre-sets it to the client when you log in...

If you switch users (i.e. a su) then you need to reset the envvar....

If you want the full boot set up find the DrakWizard install the package then run the file from command line.

Running it will add extra things to the MCC and will download and set up the packages all for you..

This will give the full boot on lan and configuration for you.. Send me a Mail tomorrow if you need more info..

I've ran it, but unfortunately, no wizard seems to be in my list. All I have are as follows:

Apache Server
DHCP Server
DNS Server
FTP Server
Kolab Server
Linux Install Server
Mail Server
Manage samba print
Manage samba share
NFS Server
NIS autofs
News Server
OpenSSH
Proxy Server
Samba server
Time Server
Ldap Server

All I can see so far of being easy are ssh with the X option enabled, or vnc. I just wanted something similar to rdesktop, or being able to use some sort of client locally on a machine to run apps from the main machine itself. Actually, since the machine is only a P550 with 256MB of memory, it's gonna get overloaded if we try to do too much with it.

Looks like vnc I think or freenx.

I've just done some testing with ssh, and that works a treat. I've also installed vncserver for all those Windows users who just don't want to use Linux :P