Passwordless and loving it!

hanes

Well this is my last post because I really don't want to keep this thread at the top, I never though it would get a big reaction.

My IP keeps fricking switching because my DSL modem sucks (*kick *kick). Anyways, you might not want to try and do anything to the IP above because it is no longer me, and there is a slight chance that, the IP is someone else who may actually be angry if you delete his system.

Just thought I should say that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that post has been removed so that it may be discussed amongst the administration.

That's nice, but what is there to discuss? When I was a mod we would have never even thought of saying that on the forum. You either do the job or keep your malicous thoughts to yourself. You do not cause problems, you solve them. If you can't grasp that basic concept because you either do not care, are too complacent, or have no clue.... you do not need to be a mod any more. Simple.

Guys, lets chill down.

As it is strongly recommended to use root passwort for your own (and our also) safety, it is USER'S desision weather to follow the advise or not.

conclusion: it is better to use root password

anyway, lets have a beer :beer: and relax a bit...

A Global Mod accused a Member, with a good history, of trolling. Apology is in order.
1. I am not a Global Mod.

2. I have not accused hanes of trolling, but said that imho the post is trollish. That is a very different thing!

3. bvc, if you have a personal problem with me as a Mod, please tell me about it with a PM and don't start an uneeded flamewar in the forums.

or keep your malicous thoughts to yourself. You do not cause problems, you solve them. If you can't grasp that basic concept because you either do not care, are too complacent, or have no clue.... you do not need to be a mod any more. Simple.

For one, there was nothing in that post that gave any definite indication of malicious intent. At the end of the day the mod was giving his honest "opinion", that is all you can derive from what was actually said, and to be quite frank, there's nothing to say that a moderator cannot air his/her opinion, they are after all human, and like many have said, it is after all a thankless job. You think after all these years that some people would be able to read what is written on a message board and appreciate that the lack of body language and vocal tone gives some ambiguity with regard to the interpretation of the words printed there. Given this it would have been wiser to question the motives of the poster instead of assuming that they were malicious

2. I have not accused hanes of trolling, but said that imho the post is trollish. That is a very different thing!

Like I said above, I seen nothing to indicate a personal attack, unfortunately some people will see it that way, and i'm not singling out the people that have expressed their concern here, there are others who will have kept such thoughts to themselves. Again one of those pitfalls in bringing people of differing personalities, from different political & cultural backgrounds.

So lets finish off this discussion with a :beer:

I didnt find it like super offensive or anything!

I can see how you thought how you might have thought it was trollish or whatever simply because of the reaction no passwords get... anyways I didnt lodge a complaint, and I dont actually want to lodge a complaint

You are missing quite a bit of board history so that explains why you don't see why veterans think of No root password posts as trollish...

Again one of those pitfalls in bringing people of differing personalities, from different political & cultural backgrounds.

This is funnier than it seems .. the funny thing is we have had more problems here with No root password posts than politics and religion combined!

Remember we are a linux board and many of us see a "no root password" GLEE post in the same way as a self-harm board post listing methods of self-harm or a suicide board listing methods of suicide. Well perhaps not the same but more like a i'm goiung rock climbing this weekend with no safety equipment type post... on a suicide help board.

The reaction is more about what a noobie might make of the post rather than anything else, especially one who is not firewalled and not security aware!

Add to that the time some of us have spent fixing other peoples problems that happened because someone was running as root who then gets running again and runs as root again and you are guaranteed a reaction.

In retrospect its perhaps difficult to see a reason for posting this other than encouraging others to do the same which is why it was labelled trollish... but I don't think anyone specifically meant to call you a troll as such ...but to many of us it is in the same light as a post saying "Reinstalled Windows and all my problems are fixed" even if you didn't mean it that way...

I think it was a tad foolish posting so provocatively.

Those who really understand the risks associated with it, and who happen to not use a root password or some similar system, tend to not go about promoting it loudly - because they're aware of the debate, argument and trouble it will cause, and they understand why there is such debate.

By posting here, and so provocatively, I do think it shows that hanes is unaware of all the consequences, or is simply being somewhat naive about it. If he is so though, he isnt going to listen to us, and he may as well learn the hard way. Because he will slip up and stuff his system, it's inevitable.

It's almost inevitable for any of us to screw a linux system up at some stage, and those who won't, are in the very very cautious minority. However, when you're newer to Linux, and have no root password, your chances of screwing up your linux install increase substantially.

James

Edited by iphitus

It's almost inevitable for any of us to screw a linux system up at some stage, and those who won't, are in the very very cautious minority. However, when you're newer to Linux, and have no root password, your chances of screwing up your linux install increase substantially.

This is true but I guess it depends how/why people are using linux....

If you run XP and linux as a second OS then its probably no big deal other than good netiquette....

There is of course the chance of your PC being used for malicious puprposes and this affects the whole net ...

On the other hand if its just a second OS the personal consequences are that you need to reinstall ...

Ignoring the netiquette side my last reinstall took 12 mins... Im sure a faster Cd would have speeded it up further ... but so long as people don't come moaning afterwards then that's up to them I suppose...

There are also ongoing realtime issues wirth recording SW (apparently) that schedules the priority badly in user space but I wouldn't want to connect one of those to the internet...

Also distro's that run as root add extra dialog boxes with "Are you Sure" whereas common wisdom in linux is if you are typing the root password you should read what it says very carefully... and the thing is... it doesn't save a click because they add the "are you sure"... it just saves you typing a few letters...

The thing is that linux is designed this way .. the applications expect this safeguard and the developers have not put thought into what if user x decides to run as root (a few exceptions like gtk-gnutella)

My root password takes 1/2 sec to type because I do it often...

However the issue I think people are worried about (OK what worries me) is that noobies will see this and do it and NOT know the consequences ...

I leanred the hardway ... having a CLI opened with root on a company database server I rebooted by accident ...

as it happened it was lunch time and it shutdown gracefully and was up in 2 mins but I learned a serious lesson... and that was just at a CLI not a GUI.

This topic has been closed. There is nothing left to discuss related to the original post, and as the original poster has said he will not be returning to this thread there is no need for it to continue.