Passwordless and loving it!

hanes

LOL:

Simply take 1 troll and add food ...

Really who cares so long as noone reading this thinks its a good idea and then comes here complaining.

How many people here run virus scanners?

I run one to be a good net citizen not because Im scared of getting a virus for linux, I just don't want to forwards one to someone at work and get them sacked.

Setting a root password is the same thing ... not having one or running default Ubuntu which amounts to the same thing is just bad practice not only for yourself but because your machine can be used to attack others ...

In the end there will always be good net citizens and selfish ones and you can't change that. Some people just have no respect for others and hence cannot be exepcted to behave as a part of a society.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm relatively new to Linux (about 1 year) and i've learned that not having a password - is not so good. One single example: my little brother once decided to play with cool nice & new (for him) desktop. I cought him playing with MCC - not good!

Not having a root password is like driving without seatbelt - it is comfortable but dangerous :screwy: .

Hi, My ip right now is 216.26.208.148. Please leave port 80 alone as it is not the linux box anyways (its actually a hardware camera server, should be fine) behind a NAT.

My servers are very well firewalled and are not on this ip range anyways, they are at work. This desktop has some important stuff and I would be sad to have to reinstall from backups, but I guess thems the breaks.

I am not trying to be a troll, I love linux, and I have always hated typing in a pass on my desktop... I haven't had any problems lately, and I doubt I will. By the way I am not a complete idiot as some of you wonderfull people have commented, I have an MSc in Comp Sci with a thesis in Public/Private Key encryption and suprisingly its many vulnerabilities. This is not to brag, I am sure there are many of you with MUCH more experience/qualifications than me and admittedly theoretical knowledge proves little about practical knowledge. Simply browsing this board will find many posts of my many silly questions. But calling me a troll, just cause I made a simple post with my opinion hurts.

I think posting how your opinions are different are fine, but insinuating that I am stupid is rude. I know many of people who would never switch to Linux if they had to type in their pass to change their time. Root passless will work for them while still being compromised MUCH MUCH MUCH less than the alternative (Win XP).

Anyways my IP should stay the same till my provider tries to switch it (weekly?). If you succeed (I admit its possible) please leave the data alone, but I dont mind having to format my OS to learn the lesson I will check for later this week.

Hanes

Edited by hanes

whether or not you are stupid/ignorant is not a judgement I'm willing to make, but running without a root password is in and of itself a very stupid idea and should not be taken as lightly as you suggest. it makes the job of every cracker, "hacker" and script kiddie in the world 100 times easier.

if you feel you have been personally attacked (which is against our guidelines) feel free to contact any mod or admin with the specifics and it will be dealt with, but a cursory examination of this thread reveals no direct attacks on you, but simply attacks on the idea of running root without a password.

"Personally attacked" nah... the troll stuff I kinda found offensive, that truly was not the purpose of my original post. Also I would never troll this board because I quite often get excellent answers from it. I just thought I had enough experience to call this not such a bad idea. I see why the Linspire guys are defending themselves so much.

My ports are closed, I have shorewall on, I have a router with not ports forwarded. If thats is not secure enough I will be very suprised as well as angry with my router, shorewall, and whatever process opened a port without me knowing.

Oh yeah by the way I'll probably manually switch my IP friday because when my girlfriend gets back in town I dont want her windows box magically disappearing. I only have one computer running right now, and the data HD is disconnected so really, have fun till fri night. (*cross my fingers and hope im right)

Hanes

Edited by hanes

While you may have your system secured (in your opinion), other users don't have the experience you may have, and should not be encouraged to run passwordless.

but in the end you can never have too much security.

Hi all, I just removed a password from my root account the other day (passwd -d root) and I feel so free haha!

I just wanted to say this because of all the nutso posts I see against this. I avoided doing this for a while but then it occured to me that:

a) I run Win XP / Win 98 on most of my machines , they are ALWAYS running as root! At least on my Linux boxes the virus/hacker has to type SU

b There arent a lot of viruses running around on Linux (yet)

c) there just freaking desktops anyways! I backup important stuff!

d) I format my computer quite often anyways to try out different distros

e) Entering passwords is ANNOYING, especially for meaningless trivial things like changing the time, adding new wallpapers (into /usr/share/wallpapers, connecting to wireless networks, adding a printer, adding new fonts, loading the control center, and deleting fiiles

Anyways if any newbies are annoyed by passwords I wouldnt worry about it, I know you hear tons of people say things like "but you can DELETE ANYTHING", but guess what you can do that with most OS's out there.... I have yet to mistakenly delete my /

Obviously my servers have passwords that I change monthly, but thats another story. Even the computers that are somewhat public (ie others use them) I use passwords with...

On a related point it would be neat to have a password wizard, which asked the user what he DIDN't want to enter a password for, this way users wouldnt feel the need to remove passwords, which if EVERYONE did it, might encourage virus writers. (I finnally snapped when I changed my time for DST, instead of entering the password I just removed the password).

Hanes

My Flash Video Install Tutorial

:headbang:

:woot_jump:

go on with your bad self :afro:

ignore them

if you feel you have been personally attacked (which is against our guidelines) feel free to contact any mod or admin with the specifics and it will be dealt with, but a cursory examination of this thread reveals no direct attacks on you, but simply attacks on the idea of running root without a password.

A Global Mod accused a Member, with a good history, of trolling. Apology is in order. If the Mod truely thought it was trollish why was it left here? Obviously he didn't, so the statement shouldn't have been made. Simple.

Edited by bvc

I didnt find it like super offensive or anything!

I can see how you thought how you might have thought it was trollish or whatever simply because of the reaction no passwords get... anyways I didnt lodge a complaint, and I dont actually want to lodge a complaint

Edited by hanes