GUI Problem [solved]

Guest Idgeitman

Guest Idgeitman

Hey all, I just installed Mandriva 10.2, but there seems to be a problem with the driver for the graphics card. (Intel 915GM). It just dosent work attal, and gives errors in the command prompt.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

~ Idgeitman

If I understand correctly, X does not start and returns errors. It's a common problem, and can be easily fixed. What kind of error exactly? The fixes may vary from changing driver options to reinstalling the driver or downloading and installing another driver.

For that case, Intel has Linux drivers for its cards. I can't remember the link, you will need to search their website. Download the driver and follow their instructions to install the driver.

Meantime, you can also try to reconfigure X using Mandriva tools. Login as root on the console and run Mandriva's X configuration command XFDrake. You will be propmpted to select the driver for your card, etc. Try some of the offered options. If none of them work, select the generic VESA driver. This works in most of the cases.

use the easy-urpmi link at the top of the page to set up sources, and then do an update with urpmi:

urpmi --auto-select

then, run xfdrake to make sure the graphics are set up correctly:

XFdrake

be sure to do both of the above as root. this should correct your issue, I believe the intel video card you have is well supported.