Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZX

AmEyeMad?

Hello to all.

I have Mandrake 9.2 and Windows XP on my PC.

I'm needing some advice as to how I can enable sound when I'm in Mandrake.

I don't know how to troubleshoot my problem or how to configure my soundcard in Mandrake.

I have a dedicated sound card (Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZX) so I currently have the onboard integrated sound disabled (AC97).

Is this a difficult task? I wouldn't know as I'm totally new to this OS..... :wall:

In kmix there's a setting somewhere, I'm not using Mandriva/KDE right now, anyway look around in the different tabs, you should disable/b] digital output, it's enabled by default. (edit: it´s under kmix->switches: audigy analog/digital output jack, toggle it to see which setting works for you)

I looked into Kmix and all I got was a long rectangular box with a lot of faders and icons at the top of each fader. I couldn't find a digital output to disable nor could I navigate to kmix>switches: audigy analog/digital output jack.

I didn't know what to enable/disable in Kmix and I even searched the kmix help files.

I launched Kscd and was able to see that the music cd in the disc drive was recognised and was playing merrily away albeit silently.

What errors do you get when you try to play a sound?

I had my sons MP3 player attached via USB and I opened the drive and double-clicked on an mp3 file and was asked what app I wanted to use.

I selected Totem Media Player and the error it displayed was:

Cannot open movie.

I thought that was a bit strange considering the file was am mp3.

My son isn't here for 3 wks so I can't actually get any audio files into Mandrake to test???

There are 3 different tabs (output, input, switches) in kmix, choose the tab ¨switches¨ and the option should be there.

I go to Start Application>Multimedia>Sound>Kmix

Then a window opens and its a rectangle. It has file, settings and help menus at the top. Thats all I can see.

I went to file and chose open a new mixer tab and the available option was to open a new tab called VIA8235. When I selected this option 3 tabs appeared.

1st tab is named VIA8235

2nd tab has the same name

3rd tab is VIA8235(1)

At the top of each tab is a horizontal collection of icons with vertical faders below and on the bottom is a horizontal fader.

Beyond this I'm stumped

Edited by AmEyeMad?

you could disable onboard sound in the BIOS

Thanks devries,

I went into BIOS and the onboard sound was enabled so I disabled it and booted into Mandrake.

First of all I got this error:

artsmessage

Sound Server Informational Message

Error while initializing the sound driver

device/dep/dsp can't be opened (no such file or directory)

The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

I placed an audio CD in the drive and opened Totem. It recognized the cd, displaying the title but gave this error:

There is no audio output available.

With regards to Kmix, when I open it there's nothing to display at all, no choices in the settings drop down menu.

If I open the Control Centre and go to the Hardware option and then look at the soundcard section I see this info:

Soundcard: EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor.

In the right pane is this:

Vendor: Creative Labs

Alternative Drivers: snd-emu10k1

Bus: PCI

Bus Identification: 1102:4:1102:2002

Location On The Bus: 0:a:0

Description: EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor

Module: Audigy

Media Class: MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

If I click on the Config Module button the Parameters show as NONE.

If I click on the Run Config Tool button the driver chosen is Audigy

I'm experiencing point'n'click depravation here, lucky I've another computer alongside for foruming....

Edited by AmEyeMad?

IIRC, the audigy 2 ZX (i think you mean ZS?) is not supported in the driver supplied with mandrake 9.2 - I would highly suggest upgrading to a more recent version of Mandrake (if possible) - which is now Mandriva - such as 2006. Look here for download mirrors.

Yep I meant ZS....

can I update 9.2 from within the OS?

Or do I have to buy the update.

I checked your link and it was confusing for a noob like moi.

I've already tried to update from within Mandrake and got lost somewhere....

I think the update is more complex than Windows XP.

I don't know how to install anything from within Mandrake.

Edited by AmEyeMad?

You could try using alsa.

Alternative Drivers: snd-emu10k1

Click configure and select this driver. (it will probably install the alsa packages). Then go to system, services and make sure alsa is running. (do all this with all sound applications closed.)

Then go to system, services and make sure alsa is running. (do all this with all sound applications closed.)

Ok devries, i did what you suggested and when I'm in services this is what I see in the right pane:

Alsa.......Stopped.....x in the "On Boot" box..........When I click on Start, a window appears with the following text:

Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.6): ( OK )

Starting ALSA version 0.9.6: emu10k1 (via 82xx) ( OK )

Then I click on OK at the bottom and exit from the control centre.

I'll place an audio cd in the drive and see if kscd will work......

kscd wouldn't recognise I had a disc in the drive and Totem crashed due to a fatal error...

kmix has a blank box with no options now when I launch it....

Edited by AmEyeMad?

:D :P :lol2: ;) B) :thumbs:

WooHooYippeeHipHipHoorah!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks so much devries for coming back to my post~!

Thankx to you I got sound....I got sound...I got sound......

I rebooted the pc and inserted a dvd with mp3's on it, double clicked on the cd drive icon on the desktop, double clicked on an mp3 file which opened Totem and the file started playing but still no sound.

So I opened kmix and looked to the far left where I believed the main volume faders to be and the 1st one had a green light but the fader was right down. I activated the fader (right channel) dragged both faders to full and listened to beautiful SOUND!!!!!

So now thats sorted I guess 9.2 does support my Audigy 2 ZX afterall.....

I then put an audio cd in and opened kscd but although it recognised the tracks I couldn't get any sound....

I ripped the tracks using KAudioCreator and once I'd found where they were on the Hard Drive I imported them into Totem....and the rest's histoire

I also copied the mp3's from the dvd drive into a folder I created...so I'm getting there.....

I'm sweet with my digital camera as it was instantly recognised...

if you can help with kscd it would be great too. B) (i'm all cocky now....)

Edited by AmEyeMad?