Removing founts

payasam

There are many founts (well, all right, "fonts" in Yankese) in my MDV 2006 installation which I wouldn't dream of using. They make it difficult to find the ones I want and, being suspicious by nature, I think they may be connected with the fact that 2006 runs a good bit slower than 10.1 did. When I go to remove any of them, I am confronted with a list of locations or files (four, I think). I cannot understand what I should do without ruining my installation. Help appreciated.

Are you sure the fonts are slowing it down? As root, try this:

su (supply root password when prompted)
fc-cache

that updates the font cache, and then see if it runs any faster.

Hullo, Ian. No, I'm not sure, only paranoid in a pathetic sort of way. I'll do what you suggest and see if it makes a difference to speed. It won't do anything, though, about my having to wade through two dozen to find one I want.

Please be careful not uninstalling all fonts. That's what happened to me recently.

After that i could not X get launched anymore, and had to do a re-install.

isadora

I understand, Isadora and Daniewicz, that removing founts *used by the system* leads to catastrophe. There's a whole lot of them, though, strangely called "decorative". I don't think the system uses them, so zapping them can do no harm. If only I knew where they are tucked away, I could simply rename them and see what happens. Daniewicz, I'm on the verge of removing Kat. Thing seems to think I have no memory.

What the devil might be going on in there, Daniewicz? You're quite right, Polemicz: after I removed Kat, things began to zip along. The removal took a while. I assume the index files also needed to be deleted.