Truetype Fonts

TitanKing

I have a kinda serious problem, I am a web developer and I need to see true type fonts look like in Windows. I just love Linux and got all the tools I need to continue Developing using PHP in Linux. However, one major setback. The browser text looks totaly different in *nix then Windows. I have already imported the Windows fonts through Mandriva "Configure your Computer > Fonts". I have also Google 2 days for a solution, tried many but none worked.

I have Mandriva 2006 Installed, done all the updates, Nvidia Drivers installed and all the goodies.

When I exclude AA to the smaller font range it just looks ugly.

Any helin in the rigth direction will be appreciated !

Thanks in Advance !

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Either you have to set up your web page to specify the fonts to use, else the browser just uses its default fonts or you change your browser´s fonts so its default fonts are the same as windows´. My TTF just look the same, ie. Arial in linux looks like Arial in Windows, except when I use Wine, for some reason Arial (and some other fonts) won´t smooth.

(my browser in linux uses bitstream which looks very similar to arial, except that it looks a bit off)

Edited by ffi

I just copy the windows ttf fonts into the TTF directory. Look in /etc/X11/fs/config file (I think), and it will give the location to your fonts directories, and where the TTF are searched for.

Thanks for all the replies guys, yes basicly I would like to make Firefox (Linux) display a web page the same as Firefox (Windows).

I will look into everyones suggestions, again thanks for the replies.

Ok I see there are two directories,

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF

and

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf

which one will it be then, the both seem to have ttf fonts in them already ?

It should be /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF (I think this is the one listed in /etc/X11/fs/config file).

If you imported windows fonts using Mandrake Control Center, the fonts may just as well be copied to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf. You don't need to do anything after you copied/imported the fonts across to the Linux partition. Just restart Xwindow (logout/login) and fire up firefox. The fonts should now appear on the list.

As for the appearance of websites, even if you use the same fonts, the webpages may look a bit different if you have different dpi settings in Windows and Linux. Make sure the same screen resolution is used in Windows and Linux, and also Windows and Linux use the same dpi settings. In windows, right click the desktop, then select Properties -> Settings -> Advanced and check DPI settings, typically it's 96dpi. To start linux with the same settings, start X from console using the command

startx -- -dpi 96

Edited by coverup