installing it then it gives me another message saying it could not be

installed.

I'm thinking I might be out of my league on this one? I found a page

(http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant/) that has the source code and the

binaries compiled for windows. So I downloaded the tar.gz file (source

code) but I guess I have to compile this? I have all kinds of header and

source files in here but I really have no clue what to do with them. Has

anyone used Mandriva with WPA??

This is turning out to be frustrating. I'm pretty decent with windows...lol...but this is kicking my behind :(

Karl

• 4 weeks later...

<vent> $%%#@! Has anyone gotten wpa_supplicant to work with Mandriva One? @@#$!! </vent>

Now that I feel better, allow me to say I've got a working Wi-Fi connection w/no security, but that I cannot get connected to my AP with wpa_supplicant (0.2.4 or something like that).

I downloaded the 0.4.x version but it needs to be compiled and I don't know how to to that... I don't know if Mandriva One has the facilities to do so anyway... It's getting old shutting off the AP security all the time!

My copy of ndiswrapper is configured correctly and working great, and I can see the AP with an 'iwlist wlan0 scan',...

Compilation process is easy, just follow the steps described in the README file, the section is Building and installing. You need to edit/create a config file .config; it depends on your requirements, mine contains only two lines

CONFIG_CTRL_IFACE=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP=y

Then as root, build and install the supplicant. You can use a simple script (which I cut and paste from the README file):

# build wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli
make
# install binaries (this may need root privileges)
cp wpa_cli wpa_supplicant /usr/local/bin

mandriva should have packages for this, installable with urpmi. do not compile from source.

Please read all the relevant FAQs on urpmi.

While I agree with the second suggestion (read FAQs), I can't more disagree with the first one. What's wrong with installing software from the source? Things like supplicant won't mess up the system, and are easy to remove with no harm.

While I agree with the second suggestion (read FAQs), I can't more disagree with the first one. What's wrong with installing software from the source? Things like supplicant won't mess up the system, and are easy to remove with no harm.

I meant that it's generally better to avoid compiling from source when there is no existing package. I was pointing the FAQ's to tamathumper, as the mandrake RPM would already be compiled, and would install files in the standard locations where mandrake would, and all configured to work with mandrake, no need to mess in any of the init.d or networking configs to hack in wpa supplicant support.

Thanks for your replies, all. I've read FAQs until I'm cross-eyed... Still very, very new to Linux and this WPA thing, after several *weeks* of reading and battling with it - is about to make me give up on the whole Linux idea... I could install Win 98 onto this thing in half an hour and it would be working fine.

I don't think Mandriva One has the make utility - at least it doesn't make yum-yum noises when I type in make...

Edited by tamathumper

I don't think Mandriva One has the make utility - at least it doesn't make yum-yum noises when I type in make...

I see... I noticed only now that you're using Mandriva One live CD... If you install Linux on the harddrive, then Mandriva 2006 including development tools is a much better choice.

If that's not an option, then you have to follow James's advice and find a suitable Mandriva package. The downside of this solution is that the package could be not up-to-date, and hence may not get along with your hardware or may not include support for the latest security protocols such as WPA2. I don't use it, so I can't tell for sure....

The last resort would be to install basic development tools (gcc compiler, autoconf, make, etc.), but my advice is to consider installing Mandriva 2006 with development tools instead.

Thank you again for responding!

As this is an old laptop with only a 6GB drive in it, I don't know that 2006 is an option, I read that it requires 12GB at least? Maybe if I could somehow minimize the installation.

So I basically need to reinstall and include the development packages, that makes sense thank you! I will try that.

I am using an rpm package of wpa_supplicant, but the latest I could find was 0.2.4 (or close thereto.) I don't seem to get any messages in wpa_cli, which is odd...

Not sure about that, mine usually works for 2GB when installing Mandriva 2006. I suppose if you selected everything to install it would get closer to 6GB.

I have wpa_supplicant working in Mandriva 2006, so if you get 2006 installed, I can help you with how to get it working.

Thank you again for responding!

As this is an old laptop with only a 6GB drive in it, I don't know that 2006 is an option, I read that it requires 12GB at least? Maybe if I could somehow minimize the installation.

So I basically need to reinstall and include the development packages, that makes sense thank you! I will try that.

I am using an rpm package of wpa_supplicant, but the latest I could find was 0.2.4 (or close thereto.) I don't seem to get any messages in wpa_cli, which is odd...

When I statrted using WPA, 0.2.3 was the latest version and it worked great with SSID broadcast enabled. Reinstall should be the last option to consider. Unless you want to use some new features (like WPA2), if 0.2.4 does not work, the latest vesrion may not work either... With WiFi there are lots of different options available, which you could try. In fact, we don't even now what causes the problem, it could be the router...

Edit: I just remembered this... If you intend to use ndiswrapper, the wpa_supplicant must be configured accordingly. Check whether the RPM binary is compiled with ndiswrapper support (or whatever you use).

Edited by coverup