KDM doesn´t accept keyboard input after upgrade

ffi

After upgrading KDE to 3.5.2 via cooker, kdm doesn´t accept keyboard input anymore, when I restart X, I can ctrl alt f1 for a very brief time, doing service dm stop and then kdm brings back the keyboard, GDM still works and so does mouse input.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I´ve tried genkdmconf --help as was in the readme of the kdmrc directory with just about every --no-old flag there was, now I can use the keyboard but I have the same problem as described in this thread:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=31832

after logging in I´m brought back to the login screen. When I start a terminal session I can startx (after first having to do a service dm stop as root) and GDM still works like a charm.

:wall:

I had made a backup of the /kdm directory after the install of 352 and replaced it with the direcory after reconfiguring with genkdmconf. Then I´m back with the original problem, no keyboard working. In this backup was also a backup of an older kdmrc (which auto logged in a user) I used that one , but then the keyboard still doesn´t work untill I reset the x-server.

So to sum up:

kdm directory after genkdmconf: keyboard works but not able to go to a gui (neither gnome, ice wm nor kde)

kdm directory after install of 352: keyboard doesn´t work untill restarting x server

older kdmrc: keyboard doesn´t work either untill restarting x server

Edited by ffi

There must be a scripting error somewhere in the kdm files. But where? I don't think that we will find a solution for that, but only KDE developers. Maybe you shouls ask in the KDE channels on irc if there is a fix. Until then I suggest to simply use another loginmanager (e.g. gdm). After all, it is only a login-manager. ;)

I tried the kde and kde devel channel, nothing but I did get an answer from the dutch kde channel :)

Under [General] in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc add the line:

ServerVTs=-7

:D

This kind of problems are resolved since kde-3.4.2 MDE and in mandriva cooker they are still fighting for a solution, but this is only one of the severall problems that happens in mandriva and that in MDE are resolved and other things improved, so i dont really get why you insist in using kde from mandriva (being cooker or not).

Edited by mmodem

This kind of problems are resolved since kde-3.4.2 MDE and in mandriva cooker they are still fighting for a solution, but this is only one of the severall problems that happens in mandriva and that in MDE are resolved and other things improved, so i dont really get why you insist in using kde from mandriva (being cooker or not).

Well I tried but I ran into a big problem as MDE KDE 3.5.2 refused to install (at this point I had already removed kde 351!) as it depended on files older than the installed ones (ie. from cooker). After I got this fixed and X and kde up and running again, I ran into more trouble because there were some mde xorg upgrades left. Because now cooker refused to update some program because they had depencies of which newer versions were already installed .

Edited by ffi

Well I tried but I ran into a big problem as MDE KDE 3.5.2 refused to install (at this point I had already removed kde 351!) as it depended on files older than the installed ones (ie. from cooker). After I got this fixed and X and kde up and running again, I ran into more trouble because there were some mde xorg upgrades left. Because now cooker refused to update some program because they had depencies of which newer versions were already installed .

When happens kde appears dependeding on files older than the installed ones that i assure you is due to the urpmi repo is not well updated, and that can happen when hdlist is generated when files are being uploaded, so wait more 15 minutes for hdlist be regenerated or simply download rpms to hd and create a local upmi media.