Two computers one monitor

maparus

I have my new computer up and running with mandriva 2006 only on it thanks to the helpI recieved in this forum plus I still have my old HP still sitting on the desk too with Windows XP on it. My cds that came with my HP won't install Windows XP on my new computer and I still need Windows for my HP 3500c scanner no drivers available for it yet. My question is Is there a cable adapter available hat will allow me to hook both computers to the same monitor so I won't have to keep switching cables around when I need to scan something And is there some way to connect the two computers so that scanned information won't have to be burned to a cd to get the information into my Linux computer. I know I can duel boot but I don't want to but a copy of Windows just to run my scanner and a new Scanner is not in the budget for now.

many thanks maparus

Yep, it's called a KVM-switch. At least, that's what they call it here in Holland. Don't know bout the States though. You can use 1 monitor, 1 keyboard and 1 mouse with 2 or more computers. I exactly use 2 of them. B)

Buy a kvm switch. I use one and it works great. KVM stands for keyboard, video and mouse. I'd recommend going with a little nicer one as I had a cheap one and it gave me a lot of problems. With the one I currently have I just press a button to switch back and forth. Couldn't be easier.

edit: Gael and I posted at exactly the same time. :D

The KVM switch will set you back $50 or so, about the price of a low end scanner. You might consider eBaying the old scanner and getting a linux compatible one? It would probably end up being simpler in the long run if you really only need an XP box for scanning!

However if you use OCR as well then unfortunately I haven't found anything decent in linux ..