After installing nVidia-driver, X won't start

Gul Dukat

Hi,

apparently after installing the new nVidia-drivers, I ran into some trouble. X won't start. After carefully examining my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, I found out that the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so won't load. Any ideas on how to solve this or is this an issue of the new nVidia-driver? Never had any troubles with their old drivers.

Did you install the driver from plf or from the nvidia site?

This shouldn't be in your xorg if you installed from their site": /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so instead it should say: load "glx"

Edited by ffi

Do you have

driver=nvidia

or

driver=nv ?

I have driver=nvidia

put a # before the beginning of the the line to comment it out; Did you download your previous driver from plf?

I always download the drivers from nVidia. Could i better take those of plf?

I really a lot newer to this linus thing than you (look at my registration date, it's my install date) but I messed up many times. I found the plf drivers to be easier to uninstall and go back to the previous state. And the good thing is they're available almost as soon as the original driver on the nvidia site is too.

Messing with xorg or kde can have some nasty effects if you have the nvidia drivers installed (as we both already found out the hardway). But I leave a copy of the nvidia driver (and a stripped kernel source) lying around always as when things really don't want to work anymore a couple of reinstall can solve the problem sometimes.

(another thing I found out is keep a good backup of /etc/fstab because small changes can really hang up even booting the kernel :S )

What kernel are you using ?

I am using Mandriva Free 2006 and kernel 2.6.12-12mdksmp. I could not get the latest version of the driver working on my system - X wouldn't start. I used the previous version and it's OK. Could be a buggy driver or some sort of kernel incompatibility.

Checking the config files etc. didn't help in my case, it was a more fundamental problem. There's no other reason for the old driver working while the new one didn't.

Edited by Turb0flat4

To be honest, I've been trying to install them on a pc with the 2.6.14-2mdk kernel sand on another pc I'm running a 2.6.12-18mdk kernel, and on both I'm having the same problem. After manually trying to start X from CLI, I seem to get the following error: Fatal server error: no screens found. Any ideas on this? I only seem to have this problem with the new driver 1.0-8756. I didn't seem to ahave those problems with the drivers before. Hope you guys have any ideas on how to get X up and running again.

Upgraded to 2.6.12-18mdk and the latest version (1.0-8756) installed without a hitch.

Mmm, oke. Did you let nVidia configure xorg.conf automatically? Or did you do it yourself and what did you change in xorg.conf then?

Hi

I had the "Fatal server error: no screens found" error. If you add these options to your xorg.conf 'device' section:

Option "UseEdidFreqs" "FALSE"

Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"

Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"

you might find a screen :)

The drivers installed for me but X was in 1152x864 resolution and the monitor stuck in 1024x768. Didn't get round to finding out what I had to change in the xorg.conf to fix it :D and went back to 8178.

The latest drivers handle refresh rates, screen modes etc. differently as far as I can gather. This might help:

Vertical Refresh with 1.0-8756

or other posts on that forum.

Hope I helped a little :)

Edited by speedball2