media center/server

benanzo

I am itching desperately to build a system to sit under my tv and house my xvid/divx collection for playback via analog tv-out. I have a couple questions as to the viabilty of using mdv 2006 as the OS. I have googled around quite a bit but it's painful going from one obscure 3 year old forum post to another...

has anyone attempted this, (i'm sure you have)

basically all i want this system to do is house the files for playback at reasonable quality and be controlled either via RF kb/m or remotely via tightvnc from windows. does anyone have any advise as to a media manager osd like freevo? i would like to use my ati rw2 if that's possible. the basic specs:

celeron d 315 2.2ghz

asus p4v8x-mx mobo (audio, lan, sata, raid, etc)

sapphire radeon 9250 w/ tv-out

2x 200gb sata hd raid 0

no monitor...just tv out and remote manage via tightvnc

i guess what i'm asking is if mdv 2006 would be suited for this kind of stuff...or does anyone know of a linux that purely designed for media center control via tv screen like windows mce and whatnot. i think freevo on top of mdv would be just fine but have little experience and need something suitable. i don't need the machine to do any encoding or 3d, just playback my xvids/mp3/dvds full screen with good picture/audio.

I thought about this and decided that I wanted something that could have full function for basic pc tasks (web browsing, etc) although i know crt tv is awfully blury, i also thought it would be neat to eventually upgrade the gpu/cpu to do some 3d gaming and pvr work...just want to keep my options open- but for now I want to establish the base system and get comfortable enough with it's reliabilty to do what I most what it to (playback dvd/divx/mp3, etc.)

Basically there are 2 options then, Freevo and Mythtv. I´ve used both (now using Mythtv). I´ve written howtos (see the tips and tricks forum) how to install these. As with everything else: if you know what you are doing it is easy. Mandriva 2006.0 works perfectly with mythtv. I don´t know about freevo with 2006.0 but I doubt you will have problems. I think you should just install it and see how it goes. if you need specific advize for som eof the problems you will run into post them here.

Good luck.