protocols dying unexpectedly

StandardsDT

not sure if this is a hardware issue or not. but each time i try to delete something i get the unpleasant glass shatter sound and the following error

The process for the trash protocol died unexpectedly.

this error occurs once and then if you try again the process dialog box just hangs there unless you exit it. so right now i am unable to delete anything.

[moved from hardware - arctic]

Have you tried restarting KDE? What happens if go to the trash folder trough Konqueror (click 'go to' and select trash). Can you drag and drop trash to the trash folder? Can you empty your trash folder?

I've tried restarting the computer all together and no go. Haven't tried drag and drop. All's I've tried is the right click and delete and the drag to trash can icon.

Or, if you're not using KDE, what desktop are you using? That would at least point us in the right direction as to where to start troubleshooting the issue.

I am using KDE havent booted into GNOME or anything else.

Also: was the system already updated via easyurpmi? Adding updates solves many, many problems.

easyurmpi? never heard of that. i did update the system through the configure your computer window.

I will boot into Linux now. Been using Windows today just to listen to the music on the Windows partition.

ok i just tried deleting through konqueror and the moment i opened the trash can i got the class shouter sound and the error :(

Edited by StandardsDT

easyurmpi? never heard of that.

Check this: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

Easyurpmi is a tool that allows you easily to add some online software mirrors to your system. On the servers, the bugfixes are available for download and they will fix several problems you might enounter (in Linux, there are constantly patches and improvements available for download). Once you have set up the uprmi mirrors as explained there, go to the MCC, go to the software section and select the updating tool. It will connect to the mirror and show you all updates that are available for your box. Normal updates, bugfixes and security updates. Select the ones you want to update for now (most probably: KDE packages. If you have broadband, you can simply check all) and let the machine do the updates. Then log out of KDE and log in again. Check if your problem still exists.