Swiftfox - Resource optimized Firefox 1.5

arctic

http://getswiftfox.com/

Try it. I am posting from it already. Not bad. A special package for athlons, semprons, durons and intel processors.

Now check this memory usage:

PID USER	  PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM	TIME+  COMMAND
7025 fabian	15   0 88352  29m  16m S  2.0  3.2   0:04.60 firefox-bin

This is with the Mandriva default Firefox 1.07 package:

7264 fabian	15   0 97.9m  30m  18m S  1.0  3.3   0:03.59 mozilla-firefox

Artic:

I use the KDE System Guard to see memory usage, and have never seen the "m" you show. Is "m" for million? Could I write the swiftfox memory usage as 88352 = 0.088352m?

If I am interpreting this "m" correctly, then the swiftfox usage is extraordinarily small compared to the mandriva rpm. Yet the other numbers RES and SHR are similar. What are those?

I tried swiftfox a year ago or so and found that it was slower than the version downloaded directly from mozilla.org. I used the scragz test (attached) to measure speed. I also tried to build my own firefox, but could never match the speed of the mozilla.org version.

edit: I was not allowed to upload the scragz test because it is an xhtml file.

Edited by daniewicz

%MEM is what matters... and that's 0.1% different... which could be due to a range of variables.

There's too many variables to consider what you post reliable or even somewhat useful results.

Anyway, that package looks like extra rice to me. vrmmm vrmmm omgoptomised. There's bigger bottlenecks than for what architecture the binary is compiled for. Not to mention the lack of benchmarks, or at least if they are there, well hidden benchmarks. Just adds to that rice factor.

Edited by iphitus

I don't see it as a "ricer" thing but as a nice side-project for those users who do not boast 1GB Ram on their machines. Computers with only e.g. 128 MB Ram will surely benefit from such a project. I admit, it is not much of reduced memory, but the project at least shows that it is possible to reduce the amount of Ram needed by Firefox by optimized coding. Not everyone who has a low-Ram machine will want to use Dillo or Links as webbrowsers. :)

PS: The 3.2 / 3.3 % Mem in my statistics does not look like much as I ran "top" on a 1GB Ram system. Make the same test on a 128 MB or 256 MB Ram machine and it might make a real difference.

Well I like the idea of compiling firefox with optimizations for particular CPU's. I have just never had any success producing a speed increase as measured using synthetic benchmarks.

Neither did I- and I had compiled quite a few Firefox betas.

Maybe there WAS a difference... but it wasn't noticeable.

I don't see it as a "ricer" thing but as a nice side-project for those users who do not boast 1GB Ram on their machines. Computers with only e.g. 128 MB Ram will surely benefit from such a project. I admit, it is not much of reduced memory, but the project at least shows that it is possible to reduce the amount of Ram needed by Firefox by optimized coding. Not everyone who has a low-Ram machine will want to use Dillo or Links as webbrowsers. :)

PS: The 3.2 / 3.3 % Mem in my statistics does not look like much as I ran "top" on a 1GB Ram system. Make the same test on a 128 MB or 256 MB Ram machine and it might make a real difference.

the 0.1% is such a minor difference, that it can easily be attributed to errors and uncontrolled variables, which was pretty much my point above :)

James

A .1% decrease in memory and a 1.0% increase in cpu usage? Sounds pointless to me.

Here's mine:

swiftfox

4376 omar	  15   0  2276 1076  892 S  0.0  0.2   0:00.00 firefox			
4379 omar	  19   0  2824 1368  888 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 run-mozilla.sh	 
4384 omar	  15   0 91256  33m  16m S  0.0  7.1   0:04.26 firefox-bin		

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

firefox

4269 omar	  15   0  2788 1348  904 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 mozilla-firefox	
4274 omar	  23   0  2816 1364  888 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 run-mozilla.sh	 
4279 omar	  15   0 89080  38m  16m S  0.0  8.2   0:04.42 mozilla-firefox	

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

swiftfox

4492 omar	  18   0  2272 1076  892 S  0.0  0.2   0:00.00 firefox			
4495 omar	  18   0  2820 1368  888 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 run-mozilla.sh	 
4500 omar	  16   0 83008  33m  16m S  0.0  7.2   0:03.50 firefox-bin		
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
firefox

4582 omar	  15   0  2788 1348  904 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 mozilla-firefox	
4587 omar	  24   0  2820 1364  888 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.00 run-mozilla.sh	 
4592 omar	  16   0  112m  39m  16m S  0.0  8.4   0:06.47 mozilla-firefox

1.2% on my 512MB system. 6.144 MB....not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Well I certainly won't argue with that iphitus. You are correct.

Not directly related to your comment, but I have been able to increase the speed of web browsing by simply using a hosts file to sidestep things like ad.doubleclick.net (and its multitude of brethren). It is amazing the number of servers that are contacted with a simple click on your favorite web site. Using ntop has opened my eyes to this and my hosts file is now one of my closest friends. B)

Ditto. I use an ad blocking hosts file and the fasterfox extension to speed up my browser.

ad blocking hosts file stops those ads downloading, so that saves a lot of bw/time.

One extension worth giving a shot is fasterfox. It does things to improve those bandwidth bottlenecks such as link prefetching, heavier caching, more connections, no rendering delay, and other things. Unlike other improvements, this one has technical merit, and is logical in how it works. Makes a damned nice difference.

http://fasterfox.mozdev.org

James.

Edited by iphitus