Can't log in to Mandriva 2006

Gul Dukat

Hi,

after I shut down my computer yesterday, I can't seem to login to Mandriva today. Here's the thing.

I booted my pc and all went well. I saw the nVidia-logo and after that the login-screen appears. I typed my username and my password and after that the screen goes black for, lets say 2 seconds, and then I'm back at the login screen. This is like an unendless circle. Really have no idea where to look. so I hope some of you can help me out here.

Btw, I'm running Mandriva 2006, with KDE 3.4.2 and an nVidia 6600GT graphics card. My computer worked fine, until this morning.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have you attempted removing and reinstalling the nvidia drivers in case of some sort of file corruption? Just a thought, but definitely a weird one!

Has your kernel/kernel-source been upgraded recently and is it matching/not matching your currently installed kernel?

Have you attempted removing and reinstalling the nvidia drivers in case of some sort of file corruption? Just a thought, but definitely a weird one!

Has your kernel/kernel-source been upgraded recently and is it matching/not matching your currently installed kernel?

Thanks for your reply Ianw. But the kernel and its source match up. Also reisntalling the nVidia-drivers didn't change a thing.

Most likely your kde settings somehow got corrupted.

Try logging in using another window manager (e.g. icewm), renaming the (hidden) .kde directory to .kdeold and then trying to log to kde again.

Thanks for your reply. But I tried to log in using IceWM, but I ran into the same problem as a I had with KDE.

By the way scarecrow. Where might I find that hidden directory .kde?

I´ve had this problem a couple of times, usually the answers lies in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. If you comment out the glx, dri and libglx.so entries and change the driver from nvidia to nv it helps to solve the problem. Also you could try running XFdrake from failsafe mode to try to fix it automatically.

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so" <---- comment out
Load "glx" <---- comment out
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
Driver "nvidia" <------ change to ¨nv¨
EndSection

OK, try this, edit the following line in /etc/inittab:

id:5:initdefault:

and change the 5 to a 3. Reboot the system, so that you are at standard console. Login as your user, and then at the prompt type startx. If it bombs out and returns to the console, whats the error on the screen?

You can also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for more info if nothing is shown on screen. Look for EE or WW lines for problems.

Thanks Ian. Tried it. But I get bombed out, back to the konsole. The error I get is:

The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:

Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols

Ignoring extra symbols

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

Waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "unix/:-1" refcount is 2, should be ; fixing

Hopes this helps.

Edited by Gul Dukat

Mmm, I checked again and I found something:

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1152x768"

(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (1178) not a multiple of 8

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "768x576":

(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync width (846 - 832 = 14) not a multiple of 8

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "576x384":

(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (589) not a multiple of 8

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "360x200":

(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (378) not a multiple of 8

(WW) NVIDIA(0): No size information available in CRT-0's EDID; cannot compute