Kopete issues

StandardsDT

hey everyone Kopete keeps changing the screen names in my buddy list to ICQ Email Express each time their away and I send them a message. I've tried changing the nickname back to the original but it keeps resetting to ICQ Email Express. How do I stop this?! I don't want to use Gaim do to it not running in the system tray and it completely closing out when you click the X.

Edited by StandardsDT

Gaim will run in the System Tray. Go into Preferences, Plugins and select System Tray Icon, then you'll have nothing to worry about.

I don't use kopete it wouldn't work for me, gaim is cool.

• 3 months later...

This is what I see available for kopete in 2006:

[ian@europa ~]$ urpmf --name kopete
libkdenetwork2-kopete:libkdenetwork2-kopete-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm
kdenetwork-kopete:kdenetwork-kopete-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm
libkdenetwork2-kopete:libkdenetwork2-kopete-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm
kdenetwork-kopete:kdenetwork-kopete-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm
libkdenetwork2-kopete-devel:libkdenetwork2-kopete-devel-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm
kdenetwork-kopete-latex:kdenetwork-kopete-latex-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm
kdenetwork-kopete-nowlistening:kdenetwork-kopete-nowlistening-3.4.2-16mdk.i586.rpm

I'm wondering if this is a latest release than what you have installed. How did you install yours? From urpmi sources? Have you applied updates to your system yet?

I use gaim though, prefer this to kopete. Found kopete buggy, crashing, etc.

I try to avoid compiling from source, unless I really, really have to.

Here is what I've got installed on my system for kopete and gaim:

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep kopete
kdenetwork-kopete-3.4.2-16mdk
libkdenetwork2-kopete-3.4.2-16mdk

[ian@europa ~]$ rpm -qa | grep gaim
libgaim-remote0-1.5.0-4mdk
gaim-1.5.0-4mdk

I'm using the packages from the urpmi sources, and I just configured my icq account in kopete, and connected perfectly fine with this version. However, when I tried to remove the account (because I don't use kopete), it crashed :P

Gaim, completely stable, wouldn't recommend kopete at all, but it does work and connect with icq with the version in the urpmi repositories.

You can install either kopete or gaim with:

urpmi kopete

or:

urpmi gaim

I only compile from source if the package I want isn't available, or I need an option that isn't there by default from the packages.

I believe kopete shipped with Mandy 2006 has a few bugs, most important being that it can't connect to MSN (not its fault- changes in MSN is the reason). You should install a newer version, or trying to compile and use a very recent sim-im instead:

http://sim-im.org/wiki/Main_Page

(it's precompiled for Debian all branches, Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Gentoo, Arch, FreeBSD, but apparently not for Mandriva... :rolleyes: ).

It's a superb multiprotocol QT-based instant messenger, IMHO better than kopete (which is also damn good, much better than what Gaim is hoping to be in the foreseeable future...).

Edited by scarecrow