Trying to install Nvidia Drivers

maparus

I'm trying to install Linux IA32 Nvidia driver for my FX 5500 265MB card on a Mandriva 2006 system This is what I've done

1. Download IA32 driver to my desktop

2. open a terminal and go to root

3. type INIT 3

4. type URPMI Bintils It says it is already installed

5. I type sh Nvidia-Linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run

Says it command not found. What am I doing wrong?

many thanks maparus

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I'm back again. Here's what I did

1. Downloaded Linux IA32 to my desktop

2. Moving files using the terminal still gets me confused so I logged out of maparus and logged in as root went to home/desktop/ and moved the file to (lib/modules/2.6.12.12-12mdk/kernal/drivers/video/nvidia) A search found that to be the only Nvidia file found

3. logged out of root and logged in again to maparu and went to lib/modules/2.6.12.12-12mdk/kernal/drivers/video/nvidia)

4. opened a terminal and logged on as root

5. Typed init 3

6. typed urpmi binutils

7. showed it's already installed

8. typed "sh nvidia-linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run" and clicked enter

9. got back " sh nvidia-linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run: command not found

more help please

rename the file first to something more convinient like nvidia.run ;) and save it in an easy place like /home/maparus

You'll have to install from failsafe mode though and make sure you have the kernel source of your particular kernel installed (can be the stripped version, saves a lot of space). When you're in failsafe type:

init 3

cd /home/maparus

sh nvidia.run

But you can also try downloading the drivers from plf, the latest nvidia drivers were there a few hours after release and they are a lot easier to set up and (un)install.

rename the file first to something more convinient like nvidia.run ;) and save it in an easy place like /home/maparus

You'll have to install from failsafe mode though and make sure you have the kernel source of your particular kernel installed (can be the stripped version, saves a lot of space). When you're in failsafe type:

init 3

cd /home/maparus

sh nvidia.run

But you can also try downloading the drivers from plf, the latest nvidia drivers were there a few hours after release and they are a lot easier to set up and (un)install.

I'll try that when I get home. I knew the driver was at PLF I had it on my old computer but when I try to install PLF on this

computer I get

root@localhost maparus]# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distribu tions_Linux/plf/mandrake/free/2006.0 with hdlist.cz

unable to access hdlist file of "plf-nonfree", medium ignored

added medium plf-free

wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.main.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]

reconfiguring urpmi for media "plf-free"

reconfiguration done

wrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "plf-free"...

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux.../$ARCH/hdl ist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (9) FTP: access denied

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "plf-free"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.plf-free.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "plf-free"

unable to update medium "plf-free"

[root@localhost maparus]# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...non-free/2006.0 with hdlist.cz

It's already said (in another thread ) that PLF currently seems having problems being accessed the old way.

Your " sh nvidia-linux-x86-1.0-8756-pkg1.run: command not found"

thing simply means that you should first flag the file you have downloaded as executable, and then run it (it's common practice in Linux).

Edited by scarecrow

init 3

cd /home/maparus

sh nvidia.run

I went to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and was able to download PLF from there with no problem. URPMI also gives me the options to use the stripped kernel, the three are Kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-18mdk, Kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-18mdk, and Kernel-source-multimedia-source2.6.12.mm.1mdk. I see that the stripped verson is only half the size of the other two options and I am on a dialup connection so it would be more practical to use it. But what are the other two for? And will I loose anything by going with the stripped version

many thanks maparus

The full source packages are needed if you want to roll your own custom kernel.

The stripped version should be OK for most (if not all) module building tasks, but maybe the one you mentioned isn't matching the installed kernel.

What is the output of

uname -a

in a console?

I see a couple of posts above mentioning 2.6.12.12-12mdk, so the correct RPM if you are REALLY using that kernel should be Kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk

Edited by scarecrow

Hold on, was your NVIDIA installer script made executable ? It isn't by default.

Go to the directory you d/led the file and type "chmod a+x NVI*run".

That should make it executable. Then make sure you have kernel sources for your installation. For this you need to run as root, "urpmi kernel-source", then press enter to resolve any dependencies.

Note that for some reason the latest version of the NVIDIA drivers (1.0-8756) does not work with kernel 2.6.12-12mdk, you will not be able to startx. If you are using this kernel, get the previous edition. On the whole, it is better to upgrade your kernel to 2.6.12-18mdk as I did today, you can do it with urpmi also, post if you need help.

Assuming you're using the right version of drivers for your kernel, now to go nongraphical mode "init 3" , login as root, and "cd" to the directory where you had the NVIDIA file. Then just type "sh NVI*run" or I think even "./NVI*run" should work as well. This is provided you only have one version of the driver in that directory, make sure of this to avoid problems with the wildcard. Alternatively, you can type the whole name of the file out, using tab completion as needed.

Then just click accept and allow it to recompile a driver for the kernel (this is why it needs kernel-source). Allow it to modify your X config files for you. After it's done, type startx and pray. ;)

Edited by Turb0flat4

The sh command should run it. I've used it in the past with no issues.

The main thing I would say is make sure you're typing in the first few characters of the filename in correctly, as I believe they are capitalized (capitalization matters) then hit the tab key. Something like this:

sh NV<tab>

Would fill in the full file name, if you're in the same directory that the file was downloaded (also very important)