Gigabit ethernet cards

static

Does anyone know of any 32-bit PCI gigabit ethernet NICs that work well in any disto that I can buy for my P3 server? I was looking at the 3COM 3C2000-T, which has linux drivers on their page, but if possible I would prefer to use built-in kernel modules rather than screwing with (possibly closed-source) vendor drivers...

Thanks in advance guys!

I have no problem here- getting full speeds ( RTL 8169 on desktop and Marvell Yukon Gigabit on laptop). The only pain was the Yukon driver, which was builtin the kernel but not functioning properly (for my card revision it works out of the box only with the new 2.6.16.X kernels).

I've had problems with the Marvell Yukon. Worked perfectly fine with Mandriva, but other distros required downloading and installing the Marvell Yukon driver. The patch didn't work, had to choose the install option.

If you upgrade your kernel, you'll have to remember to reinstall the network driver again, else you'll have no network. Of course, unless the new kernel has a working version of the Marvell Yukon driver, but one thing to bear in mind.

I have the 3COM Gigabit LOM (can't get the exact model for you right now, unfortunately) on my ASUS mobo - but the chipset is also available on a PCI adapter. It has built in support in the 2.6 kernel tree, but the module you have to use is a little obscure, so I'll look it up for you if want... the set works better in Linux that windows - the doze driver is a little shabby.

I've had problems with the Marvell Yukon. Worked perfectly fine with Mandriva, but other distros required downloading and installing the Marvell Yukon driver. The patch didn't work, had to choose the install option.

If you upgrade your kernel, you'll have to remember to reinstall the network driver again, else you'll have no network. Of course, unless the new kernel has a working version of the Marvell Yukon driver, but one thing to bear in mind.

That module has since been rewritten and was merged in 2.6.16 under the name sky2.

James

Wow - thanks a lot guys! Good to see some of the old names still around!

I had taken a hiatus from computing in general after college - getting home every day after 8 hours of using one at work sours you a little, but my ssh server is running mandriva and soon I should be getting my new MacBook Pro, so I'll be jumping back in with both feet!