How to have udev start at boot? [solved]

RVDowning

Running Mandriva 2006.

I found that all my troubles with having usb initialized and usb devices automounted was due to not having udev running. If I do a "service udev start" all is well. Of course, after a reboot, it is not running again.

Where is the start of the udev service supposed to be? It should be started at a pretty low level, but I don't know where.

Yeah, reinstailling could be a cure. After that check the /sbin directory for something like "udevd" being present. It does not have to be listed as a daemon, in most distros it is not.

Removing it completely will probably ask removing half your system as well- so avoid it.

Edited by scarecrow

I don't think reinstalling will help and it may do some damage. udev should be starting automatically during boot. I suspect udev is trying to do so but something else is interfering with it or hanging it up. This is probably a timing issue since you can later start udev and all is well. You can try opening a console immediately after booting up and running:

$ dmesg

That will print out all the kernel boot messages. Look for some indication that udev is having problems in there.

The quick and dirty fix is to put the following at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

/sbin/udevstart

rc.local is the last init script to run and the above starts udev at the end of the init process so nothing else should interfere with udev at that point.

Well, adding "/sbin/udevstart" to the end of "/etc/rc.d/rc.local" did nothing. However, I replaced "/sbin/udevstart" with "service udev start" and that did the trick.

I do see that in "rc.sysinit" there is a "service udev start". Why that doesn't work such that I have to add the same statement in again in "rc.local" I have no idea.

At least this seems to work. My subjective opinion is that if a usb device is plugged in the boot process seems to take considerably longer.

By the way, I notice that if I plug in a new usb device for the first time and then reboot, the system will hang when attempting to go into kde (autologin). I have to do a ctrl-alt-bksp and then log in to KDE. It then comes up fine. Thereafter, if I reboot again with that same new usb device plugged in, all is well.

Of course, if I plug in a web cam nothing happens as regard to any automounting. But, that will be a different topic.

Edited by RVDowning