Error after loading grub with FC5

Hi,

I've recently installed FC5 on my notebook. All went well during the installation and all looks oke. Except for a strange error that occurs after the Grub has gone. The error states the following: Uncompressing Linux.. Ok booting the kernel

MP-BIOS bug: 8254 Timer not connected to IO-APIC. Does someone has a clue as to what is going wrong here? And better as to what I can do about it.

Thanks in advance.

Kano, the developer of Kanotix said in the Kanotix forum that this error can be ignored. According to him, it is completely irrelevant and won't harm your box.

If you have a Nvidia nforce card, then this might be interesting. It's from Nvidias site:

#

Network and other devices randomly stop working when ACPI is enabled

This problem may be caused by an incorrect ACPI table entry that causes the timer interrupt to be incorrectly configured.

If the kernel console boot trace (viewable using dmesg) contains messages such as these:

..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IOAPIC

...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A . failed.

...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ... failed.

...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works.

then the incorrect ACPI table entry is present. On 2.6 kernels, this can be worked around by specifying the 'acpi_skip_timer_override' boot line option. An alternative workaround is to disable ACPI in the BIOS or by using the 'acpi=off' boot line option.

If your system works, then I'd also say, ignore it for now, but check /var/log/messages once in a time for possible error messages that pop up. If your system freezes, then this might be interesting http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/K...03-12/1528.html.

Thanks Arctic.

I fond it a little bit strange. Because I installed FC5 on one of my desktops too, and I didn't have the error there. Only on my notebook. Which has Turion64 cpu, but I installed the i586 Fedora version on it. It has a ATi graphic-card in it. But I will take a look at the link you gave me.