I broke UDEV again [solved]

This is the second time I have broken UDEV (given up on getting an answer in Ubuntu forums since its a technical question it will likely go unanswered forever )

I did a update on Adept and I guess the UDEV rules got messed up and the first time I managed to fix them somehow... problem was I tried 20 different things and can't remember what I did exactly.. I was at the point of reinstalling and desperate!

The thing is my USB key works fine and creates the device and USB mass storage plugged in works but my built in card reader doesn't.

As regular user

Code:

root@ubuntu64:/home/sl # lsusb -v -s 003:003

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 07cc:0301 Carry Computer Eng., Co., Ltd 6-in-1 Card Reader
Device Descriptor:
 bLength				18
 bDescriptorType		 1
 bcdUSB			   2.00
 bDeviceClass			0 (Defined at Interface level)
 bDeviceSubClass		 0
 bDeviceProtocol		 0
 bMaxPacketSize0		64
 idVendor		   0x07cc Carry Computer Eng., Co., Ltd
 idProduct		  0x0301 6-in-1 Card Reader
 bcdDevice			0.05
 iManufacturer		   1		 Ltd
 iProduct				2 Winter Ver1.3
 iSerial				 3 641649907388
 bNumConfigurations	  1
 Configuration Descriptor:
bLength				 9
bDescriptorType		 2
wTotalLength		   32
bNumInterfaces		  1
bConfigurationValue	 1
iConfiguration		  0
bmAttributes		 0x80
MaxPower			  500mA
Interface Descriptor:
  bLength				 9
  bDescriptorType		 4
  bInterfaceNumber		0
  bAlternateSetting	   0
  bNumEndpoints		   2
  bInterfaceClass		 8 Mass Storage
  bInterfaceSubClass	  6 SCSI
  bInterfaceProtocol	 80 Bulk (Zip)
  iInterface			  4 1.06.30.0704
  Endpoint Descriptor:
	bLength				 7
	bDescriptorType		 5
	bEndpointAddress	 0x81  EP 1 IN
	bmAttributes			2
	  Transfer Type			Bulk
	  Synch Type			   None
	  Usage Type			   Data
	wMaxPacketSize	 0x0200  1x 512 bytes
	bInterval			   0
  Endpoint Descriptor:
	bLength				 7
	bDescriptorType		 5
	bEndpointAddress	 0x02  EP 2 OUT
	bmAttributes			2
	  Transfer Type			Bulk
	  Synch Type			   None
	  Usage Type			   Data
	wMaxPacketSize	 0x0200  1x 512 bytes
	bInterval			   0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):root@ubuntu64:/home/sl # lsusb -v -s 003:003

Any Udev guru's?

I can post other files.....

Edited by Gowator

If he has usb-storage loaded, then he shouldntn eed any other modules for other usb storage devices.

Try reinstalling the udev package to ensure you get the distro provided rules.

If that doesnt work, post a dmesg, a little bit after plugging in your non operating device, I'd like to see how it's recognised.

James

Grr, second time reply crashed Firefoix again?

Anyway... I tried in reverse, dmesg shows nothing when the device is plugged in...

Will now try and reinstall udev and hope I don't lose the other stuff...made a copy of the whole udev dir for what its worth so here goes.

after reinstall

[6615739.778000] usb 2-3: USB disconnect, address 3

mark - manual safely remove USB stick

[6615765.579000] ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.1: wakeup

[6615765.851000] usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4

[6615765.961000] scsi7 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices

[6615765.962000] usb-storage: device found at 4

[6615765.962000] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

mark - manual remove CF from reader

(nothing happened)

mark - manual insert CF

(nothing)

I think its actually the Ubuntu package that is broken and to be honest Im sick of Ubuntu and I think Ill probably go back to Debian... I mean at least someone answers questions on here, on the Ubuntu forums it can fall off the 10,000th entry (i posted it first on there in blind optimism 16 views and not a single reply)

If I bump it Ill get blasted again (I once bumped a 2 week old post with no answers and got told to **** off and stop being rude) ... in the end the distro is only as good as the support and Ubuntu has less than no support unless there is an unofficial forum Im not used to...

My last 2 questions are both unanswered meanwhile they are solved here.... i posted a question on the kanotix forum last night and two answers by this morning.... Ubuntu forums realy are worse than pathetic they positively drive away people.

Im startng the download of kanotix now... at least i can get answers from the forum!

If Ubuntu don't answert by then Im doing a purge and installing Kantotix...(but Im not telling them they can just lose one reasonably experienced user, Im sure they loose hundreds each day and replace them with 2 new Win converts which explains why the support is so bad)

If I bump it Ill get blasted again (I once bumped a 2 week old post with no answers and got told to **** off and stop being rude) ... in the end the distro is only as good as the support and Ubuntu has less than no support [...]

Ubuntu forums realy are worse than pathetic they positively drive away people.

Yes, the user support in the Ubuntuforum is far from ideal as most users there new to Linux (just ditched Windows) and do not have the required knowledge for answering any more technical questions. But you will get flamed there pretty fast, even by some admins, if you openly criticize the Forum - even in a diplomatic way. I was told by admins there to "F*** off". I don't think that I am much of a troublemaker, but... different forums, different views. That is why I decided to stop going to that forum. And yeah, I ditched my last Ubuntu system last week. My Mac completely broke after a dist-upgrade and recovery was absolutely impossible. So much to "Ubuntu just works". I don't know what I will put on it, if it will be debian, Mandy or Fedora... :rolleyes:

Oh, on a side note: I had problems with Ubuntus udev, too and also never got replies from anyone there.

Yes, the user support in the Ubuntuforum is far from ideal as most users there new to Linux (just ditched Windows) and do not have the required knowledge for answering any more technical questions. But you will get flamed there pretty fast, even by some admins, if you openly criticize the Forum - even in a diplomatic way. I was told by admins there to "F*** off". I don't think that I am much of a troublemaker, but... different forums, different views. That is why I decided to stop going to that forum. And yeah, I ditched my last Ubuntu system last week. My Mac completely broke after a dist-upgrade and recovery was absolutely impossible. So much to "Ubuntu just works". I don't know what I will put on it, if it will be debian, Mandy or Fedora... :rolleyes:

Oh, on a side note: I had problems with Ubuntus udev, too and also never got replies from anyone there.

Well Im at 51% at av 100 kb/s on Kantotix right now.

Your absolutely right about the constructive critique, its a bit like treading on broken glass the whole time and guess what with you and I gone and 10 new Windows converts things won't be getting any better anytime soon.

If you try the kanotox forum you are often told RTFM and a link, especailly by Kano and I bet he can be even drier in German but you get answers and fast... If you ask how to change wallpaper your likely to get a link but if something isn't working then you will get a real answer really quick. Follow it to the letter and it works and if you want to understand why then that's left up to you a little.

I think the Ubuntu statement is Very accurate... Im not sure they mean it to be but... it works out that way...

You install and it works pretty good..I have to say Imimpresed by that part. But then if it doesn't work your pretty much on your own if its a technical question.

gtk-su and kde-su are as close to forbidden topics as possible without banning them... and the support on the development release seems much better... this is where the techies hang and will swap tips but if your using the latest stable it seems very much a "Oh we finished that release" kind of distro. I thought of changing to dapper but I think Ill be in the same situation a few months from now ehen the next dev release comes out!

I think the problem is getting worse because you and I got tired of it. We are the experienced users being turned off (69% now) and there need to be tools so that we can help people and if we have problems so the right people see our questions because the present format just isn't working and the noobies keep arriving while the experieced users keep leaving.

To be honest, I would also trash (F)Ubuntu and switch to Kanotix. But the udev issue is universal... in my Arch Linux it just breaks every now and then... the only good thing is that the Arch devs are rather fast, and it gets fixed after a couple of days at most (while at other distros it could take a couple of months...).

Nice to hear. Good luck with your new and shiny Kanotix. :)

it really is shiny with KDE 3.5 ... my Firefox issues are fixed... I have cover manager support in amarok and the udev is working (for now) and about 20 other niggles... the nast root kit is gone (ALL:ALL in sudoers)

Its amazing how much I had just put up with in Ubuntu thats working perfectly now...

The install was a little bumpy, but I guess its because I chose lilo as the loader and kano uses grub.. but it was fixed with a simple chroot from the live CD and running lilo...