2nd DSL connection to single modem [solved]

DimmO

Hi,

I currently have ADSL connected via PPPOE (setup with drakconf).

VPI: 8, VCI 35

Now, I wish to add a 2nd connection via the same eth card and modem with DHCP.

VPI: 8, VCI: 36

Reason is, my isp has just started offering free data transfer between everyone on the same DSLAM as me. (The internet side of things has a monthly data cap).

here's my config (MDK2006.0)

my modem is set for "bridged" mode

eth0-->modem-->internet

eth1-->switch--> lan

My first guess was to create an alias of the ethernet card, and make a new adsl connection with drakconf, but with a DHCP adsl connection, i can't set VC or VP...

How can I setup the second connection?

Thanks,

DimmO.

You can't (DNS conflicts).

Yea, that's true. Once I thought that I should make a test with my computer to use 2 different networks on one machine (neighbours were buying a WLAN access point, and my own wired network) to get double bandwidth but then a friend that is a network administrator in a big enterprise network told me that it's just impossible. I also googled it around and also found out that it's impossible.

So you have to stick in one of those networks at a time.

You can't (DNS conflicts).

This "communitynet" gig is essentially a WAN over dsl infrastructure, not a 2nd connection to the internet. The communitynet groups are assigned 10.x.x.x addresses, so shouldn't conflict, yeah?

At the moment, my isp has only offered guides for modem/routers, and mine (that the isp supplied) isn't compatible. Looks like i'll have to get a replacement modem/router. :(

I think that Video on Demand and VOIP will be using 3rd and 4th connections in future.

I dont see the problem with dns here......

internet  > modem > gateway (eth0) 
							 gateway (eth1) > switch > lan

The gateway computer essentially just needs to act as a router. It's plausible and possible.

James

Edited by iphitus

I dont see the problem with dns here......

I agree I don't see the problem, its the routing tables that need updating to allow the 10.0 network....

The conceivable problem is that this is a RFC restricted ICANN range and is defined as non routable over the internet but one presumes that is done by the ISP so no problem...

I think the OP's idea of two virtual devices is correct and you simply tell the route for 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 to go through the 10.0 IP you are given and the default gw to go through the other virtual adapter with the internet assigned IP?

Alternatively you might be looking too deep : if your ISP is doing this they are likely to take care of this part for you and simply reroute the traffic for 10.0.x.x for you?

Hi,

I got a bit further last night.

I set another virtual connection on the modem's config software/html interface, so now I have 2 bridged connections set on the modem.

I then simply set eth0 (not eth0:0) to obtain an IP address by dhcp. (Previously it was set for no IP at all for the pppoe connection).

It all worked fine for about 5 minutes. - I could browse internet websites, and ping the communitynet irc server (10.3.15.255). Then, it all died in the ass - all internet and communitynet servers could not be found (host not found when pinging). I restarted the network - as root: "service network restart", and it all worked again for 5 minutes. I wonder if this is conflicting dns entries?

I found an option in the drakconnect panel that stops eth0 from taking DNS addresses from DHCP (I assumed that the PPP assigned DNS servers would remain), but that broke everything.

I'll have another go tonight.

Cheers,

DimmO.

When the connection is working, check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. Then when the connection breaks check the contents again to see if they have changed. If they are changing we'll be able to lock the file to stop it.

When the connection is working, check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. Then when the connection breaks check the contents again to see if they have changed. If they are changing we'll be able to lock the file to stop it.

After a bit of mucking around, I broke my whole network configuration, so, I got booted into safe mode and deleted, then reconfigured the lot. now it works!

Here's the trick:

In the modem setup webpage contraption (192.168.1.254):

setup 2 bridged WAN connections - one for intermernet as a pppoe connection and one for communitynet as a dhcp type connection. (the only details entered on these connections are for VCI/VPI settings)

In drakconnect:

1) setup internet account with my regular pppoe settings including the correct vci/vpi details and user/pass. This will automagically setup DNS from the ppp connection, and will automagically setup eth0 with no address (no static and no dhcp).

2) go back to drakconnect and edit eth0 properties. change it to grab an address from dhcp, and make sure to turn off the option to obtain dns from dhcp.