Menu system driving me mad in Kubuntu

I have been trying to work out how to get rid of the annoying tag that goes in front of all the menu items in Ubuntu...Help me start using the GUI please!!!!

e.g.

Package Manager (Add applications)

Package Manager (Adept)

Package Manager (Kpackage)

Package Manager (Synaptic)

Package Manager etc. etc. etc.

This makes it really frustrating trying to find a menu item for you want and often causes me to select the wrong one, especially on my laptop and touch pad!

Also the packages are put in random places that ignore the normal Deb packaging so I just installed a whole load of odbc stuff today and of course it doesn't even appear on a menu yet I wasted however long just trying to find it?

In the end I have ended up spending more time at the console than using the GUI because the GUI is counter intuitive if you know what you are looking for... why force me to scroll through 10 media players or 5 browsers when I know which one I want to use?

Is there is a simple way to just get rid of all these additions to the menu system, I haven't used pure debian for a while, are these part of KDE now or part of Ubuntu because if I can get rid of them by going back to Debian that sounds ideal... ( it will also fix amarok and 20 other issues I have to put up with daily on Kubuntu).

If this is KDE, rightclick kicker (the panel), choose configure, click the menu icon and selecyt ´show only name´(translated from Dutch so actual words can be diffrent)

OK, cool that worked a treat.....

How about getting kappfinder to find the stuff already installed?

Mandrake used to have a utility allowed you to revert to native menu's which I always used but Im halfway there now.

I´ve no idea how kappfinder searches for applications. I think there are kde guidelines how to install an application (perhaps freedesktop guidelines?) so perhaps it can´t find Gnome apps.

As for kmenuedit: isn´t there an export option to save the menu settings?