Logitech MX610 mouse: Using the thumb buttons

Jiawen

I bought a Logitech MX610 mouse recently and have been trying to get the left-side thumb buttons configured as I want them. Currently, they both operate as the left mouse button. I want them to work as the middle mouse button. (Primarily for browsing -- I use MMB in Firefox all the time to open a new tab in the background.) I'm using Gnome 2.10 on Mandrake 2006.

Here's the relevant part of my current xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to set the mousewheel so that the left/right scroll works in addition to the up/down scroll.

Is there a way to do this by only modifying my xorg.conf file? I'd really like to avoid having to recompile my kernel or anything like that.

Thanks!

I wish you luck.

I will be following this thread closely.

Especially since in Mandriva2005-LE, the left thumb button on my Logitech Dual-beam Mouse worked for going back. But since 2006-official it has never worked despite installing all 2006 updates.

In fact installing drakxtools (also drakxtools-newt and drakxtools-backend included) update is a disaster that prevents you from installing or uninstalling software so one has to revert back to the CLI to uninstallt and then use the original cd to install the original. (The versions in cooker are no better. One could hope they might just, with a little bit off luck, be better but no such luck. It is obvious Mandriva is not bothering at even looking at ANY of the annoying, niggly problems in 2006. Their repair updates are almost non existant.

Cheers. John.

I wrote a howto with this in mind a couple of years ago (or more?). I think it is still applicable:

http://yves.gablin.club.fr/gablin.php?page...le=config_mouse

Yves.

Nice write up, and very informative. Unfortunately the 'xev' command is not active anymore, not on my mandy 2006 anyway. That is just the sort of thing I'm looking for so that I can capture the output from the mouse buttons.

Slightly off topic, where does one obtain these obscure commands please?

xev is part of X11R6-contrib package.

Nice write up, and very informative [...]

Slightly off topic, where does one obtain these obscure commands please?

1/ Thank you :)

2/ As far as I'm concerned: man pages; I read them a lot.

Yves.

:thumbs: Thank you Ives. I have finally got the mouse buttons working. Not quite as simply as your write up as I had a bit of playing around with the xmodmap and I finished up putting two extra buttons in the ZAxisMapping. However thanks again, you got me on the right track.

AussieJohn, Jiawen you should be able to get yours working now with the info from Ives. Get the howto from his site it's good.

Ives, I got the message about man pages, yes I do use them quite often but unless one happens to look at the right page one does not see the commands. Mind you I do where glasses :P

Hello SilverSurfer60,

I'm glad I could lead you onto the right path. BTW, I'm Yves, not Ives ;)

As for man pages, you're right, you have to know the command first.

Sometimes however, I just hit a letter and then I hit [TAB]. Then I see a list of commands. And then I read the man page for all commands I see that appeal to me by their name.

Even though my memory is generally quite bad, I'm lucky enough to easily remember almost all I read computing-wise. Thus, even though I often go back to the man pages to refresh my memory, I know the commands and I have at least a rough idea of all options available for the commands I know.

And when I really don't know what command may help me, I use Google, or I often "reinvent the wheel", as they say, which in turn teaches me a lot.

Yves.

:o Sincere apologies for changing your name Yves. I'm now going to the opticians to get some better spectacles.

Many thanks for the advice about finding commands, I have never used the letter/tab sequence before. It is a master stroke really. Google I have used many times and think it is a fabulous tool.

Sorry to Jiawen for hijacking your post. I hope you find an answer to your problem here.