free antiVirus for Linux

aioshin

So... let's not get ahead of ourselves here -- Linux isnt invulnerable, it just isnt being targetted yet. Inevitably, if Linux does get a larger market share on the desktop it will become a greater target. And in that case, you can expect to see a lot of emails, from which people will _still_ stupidly click and run the attachment.
While to some extent you may be right, I'm sure you also know that the separation of permissions in Linux and other *nixes plays a large part in keeping Linux more secure. No OS is perfect, and permissions can certainly be circumvented, but that is not an issue of Linux - but rather just one of those things you "have to deal with" when working in any OS.

Do I think as Linux becomes more popular, we'll start seeing more vulnerabilities being exploited? Maybe - but looking at how well vulnerabilities in Linux and it's related software are handled already, I think we'll see them get closed up. We may even see them get closed faster, as an increase in Linux users almost assuredly will increase the amount of resources dedicated by the big companies, and also an increase in coders willing to help out. This would mean more eyes, in turn meaning more vulnerabilities found and/or fixed in a shorter amount of time.

But, we'll see, I suppose.

Actually we are all talking about the same thing: Linux isn't invulnerable, because no OS is... and yes, the main OS vulnerability is the users, not the OS- but unike their windows counterparts, Linux users STILL have the right to do silly things at no cost.

Edited by scarecrow

• 3 months later...

Quothe aioshin : "Free antiVIrus software for linux.. well, it's not a sign that Linux is now prone to virus, but some people really can't just live without it ( I meant for the antivirus, not the virus tongue.gif )

1. Avast for linux - http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

2. Grisoft - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

if you find one, then just post it on this thread... "

Would you be so kind to tell me:

Which package shoould I download for Mandriva: *.rpm or the tarball and how to run the program - e.g. Avast?

thank you.

Edited by JOE_X!!!

Which package shoould I download for Mandriva: *.rpm or the tarball and how to run the program - e.g. Avast?

thank you.

Download the rpm file. It should run with Mandriva.

rpm = Mandriva, Suse, Fedora, RedHat compatible

deb = Ubuntu, Debian, Sidux compatible

tar = tarballs are compatible with all linuxes but are only the uncompiled version of the software. You will need some applications (like make) in order to install tarballs on your ystem. This way is more complicated and should only be taken into consideration, if there ain't no other option available (or if the user wants to use the tarballs for specific reasons)

If you install a rpm, you should get a menu entry/shortcut to the application automatically.