free antiVirus for Linux

aioshin

Free antiVIrus software for linux.. well, it's not a sign that Linux is now prone to virus, but some people really can't just live without it ( I meant for the antivirus, not the virus :P )

1. Avast for linux - http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html

2. Grisoft - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

if you find one, then just post it on this thread...

Edited by aioshin

• 1 year later...
ESET NOD32 is not free. Since the threat of virus in Linux is weak at best, paying for something seems too disparate. B)

But a mailserver admin would definitely consider buying it if the detection was better (iirc NOD32 had a good reputation back in the day..). Many of the "linux virus scanners" just scan for Windows viruses. Does your ISP offer spam/virus scanning? -- they could well be using one of these solutions.

I wouldnt be surprised if many of the free ones were limited and had pay counterparts for use in such larger scale situations.

None, really- just some OOo macros and php scripts, which have pretty limited impact (at worst they will screw a couple of things at your local user account). But the system core will not feel anything.

OT: I've always found this funny... how people say "oh, it won't be bad, you'll just lose your home directory".

On Linux, your home dir is the worst thing you can lose. That's where your irreplacable data is. You can tell people to backup, but even then its easy to lose a day or two of work even if you do backup.

Personally, I'd rather keep my home dir and lose my system -- a linux install is cheap and quick. I can get Arch up and running nominal in less than an hour. A basic Mandriva install can be installed with internet, office, email and other basic capabilities running in less than half an hour -- if not out of the box.

So... let's not get ahead of ourselves here -- Linux isnt invulnerable, it just isnt being targetted yet. Inevitably, if Linux does get a larger market share on the desktop it will become a greater target. And in that case, you can expect to see a lot of emails, from which people will _still_ stupidly click and run the attachment. Or dodgy websites. Or bad passwords. Humans are still the biggest security flaw.

Linux isnt invulnerable, it just isnt being targetted yet.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. It seems to me many of the finest minds in computer science are looking for vulnerabilities on a daily basis. Just because they don't find gaping security holes, that doesn't mean they're not looking.

Humans are still the biggest security flaw.

That is absolutely true.

I play a lot of WoW, and from time to time you'll get somebody spewing the most shocking racial jokes in public chat, which is a guaranteed way to get one's account permanently banned. I always interpret these incidents thusly: Somebody didn't change his password before dumping his girlfriend. Mwwwhahahahaha.