Error with running Wine under Mandrake 10.1

Guest CaptainRon

Guest CaptainRon

although wine is able to run programs as simple as regedit.exe, it fails with others like Winamp etc.

Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.

Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.

Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/home/ron', starting in the Windows directory.

Wine 0.9.11

Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program

wine --help Display this help and exit

wine --version Output version information and exit

Since it can;t understand the current working directory's DOS equivalent, it doesnt run tools that need file I/O

This is the error i get with Wine. What should I do to correct the error ?

Guest CaptainRon

uh... i move into the /mnt/win_c/Program\ Files/Winamp directory then type

wine winamp.exe

This same command works perfectly fine on a RHL 9 system, with wine for RHL 9.

It seems Wine hasn't been able to configure itself properly. So what steps are requried to either manually do so, or is there any other easier work around?

Delete your windoze fake drive, and re-create it using winetrools.

Best wine version isn't that clear, but I can recommend building it from CVS- after all there's no such thing as a stable wine version.

This does seem the best fix to many wine problems :D

winetools really does a good job .. for me Wine is not something I use frequently so I don't dedicate a lot of time to learning the config but winetools makes tis a breeze...

If notepad works and stuff with external libs doesn't then its more likely than not a config issue...

One problem so far has me stumped is progs using MSDEV kit... I wanted to just use a prog as a one off and I just couldn't get it to install under wine and when I tried a vmware session it ws because it needed Internet Explorer X.X installed... not to use just because the common foundation libs were deps of IE???

Sometimes you can trick it and do an Win install and copy the files it needs and it works fine, other times not.

My only have to have prog is a dictionary (Harraps) and I cani nstall it under wine but the fonts mess up and it spits out garbage...

Gowator,

Did you copy all your Windows fonts into your TTF fonts directory? Normally for me this solved my fonts problems - at least with using Lotus Notes under wine.

CaptainRon,

I think part of your wine installation could be missing/corrupted, which is why it can't find the directories it needs. Try the winetools, or sidenet wine stuff, it works a treat.

• 2 months later...
Gowator,

Did you copy all your Windows fonts into your TTF fonts directory? Normally for me this solved my fonts problems - at least with using Lotus Notes under wine.

This worked perfectly for me.

It ran with:

su
password
cp /mnt/win_c/windows/fonts/* /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/