Your vision of Mandriva 2007/2008/2009/...

arctic

What weren't available? The repositories? They're all listed at easyurpmi, there's plenty of them if a few go down.

The ISO's! If they had been available at the time he had the connection, chances are he would have downloaded them. That's like me losing my connection now, and not being able to get Mandriva 2007 when it's released. Impossible without a fast connection, so your only option is downloading somewhere where there is a fast connection (college, uni, etc) or buying a magazine with them on the front.

If you don't have the money, like some people, or live in third-world country where fast connections don't exist or have the money, you ain't gonna buy a full release, are you? That's what gowator is trying to explain.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first you'd have to know ... secondly perhaps you are not doing it yourself, when i had to do this I had to ask someone to do it for me in their work time... thirdly there is time... it can take 2-3 days to download a CD when the mirrors keep stalling etc. and you are on dialup. I used to use the work connection and leave it running at night for the download then have to ask someone with a CD writer to write the CD and explain how to burn it as an ISO etc. in any case I only had a gig of storage space so I could only do one at once.

None of that would stop you downloading the main repo instead of the CD - in fact it would be easier because downloading lots of smaller files is much more tolerant to connections dropping out all the time and having to burn it to CD bit by bit (if you only have limited storage space).

But yes it is something that you have to know and unfortunately if you're going to use any modern Linux distro completely 'offline' its probably something you have to think about. Modern Linux distros are definitely meant to be used on a computer with an internet conn., but there's no reason you can't use it offline if you take a couple of extra steps.

If the repo of the new release isn't available and is released a month later than when your connection is terminated, you can't download it can you?

You would only be able to download a release that is currently available and this might be old. And if you never had a connection in the first place, then you can't download anything :lol2:

The ISO's! If they had been available at the time he had the connection, chances are he would have downloaded them. That's like me losing my connection now, and not being able to get Mandriva 2007 when it's released. Impossible without a fast connection, so your only option is downloading somewhere where there is a fast connection (college, uni, etc) or buying a magazine with them on the front.

If you don't have the money, like some people, or live in third-world country where fast connections don't exist or have the money, you ain't gonna buy a full release, are you? That's what gowator is trying to explain.

Sorry I don't understand what you're saying? Gowator said he downloaded the 3CD ISOs by a begged/borrowed/stolen (;)) internet connection. I'm just saying if you can download 3CDs (~2GB) you could just as easily have downloaded the whole main repository and one install CD (~4-5GB) and had all the software available to you when you're offline again, including the devel tools.

OK, bad example, maybe two or three months in advanced before the repo is released and then the CD's becoming available :P

What I'm saying is if you don't have access to begged/borrowed/stolen connection, you'll have difficulty ;)

Most universities have versions of Linux lying about if not the Department of science in the country maybe able to help.

Here in the Philippines not many have connections but they beg friends to download for them.

I gave away CD to people here so as they had the version easily.

Getting the other up to date files and packages may take a while, but most Linux people will help you out.

The problem in the start is finding a friend who has the resources to help you.

Having all the Dev Packages may be nice but for most people they want to use not develop at the start, so they don't want all the cds.

If you really have a bad connection try bit torrent or some other p2p program to download a copy they are out there just need to do a search for mandriva.

I would like more Science related programs, and programs for children, so as we can introduce the children to Mandy, more often. (I do have Gcompris and childsplay)

Sorry I don't understand what you're saying? Gowator said he downloaded the 3CD ISOs by a begged/borrowed/stolen (;)) internet connection. I'm just saying if you can download 3CDs (~2GB) you could just as easily have downloaded the whole main repository and one install CD (~4-5GB) and had all the software available to you when you're offline again, including the devel tools.

I think you largely answer this yourself ...

But yes it is something that you have to know and unfortunately if you're going to use any modern Linux distro completely 'offline' its probably something you have to think about. Modern Linux distros are definitely meant to be used on a computer with an internet conn., but there's no reason you can't use it offline if you take a couple of extra steps.

My reason for no internet was just because I was in temporary accom and it is real hard to cancel ... especially at that time in France (regarding a phone line as well) and this is what gave me a feel for what it must be linke for people in third world countries ... not I haven't spent my time in enough 3rd world countries ... but that's another story ...

My first comment on this was I would probably choose a non-commercial distro ... because you can get the full CD set for a few $

if you take a minute and check out the mandriva download page:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads

You will see the available choices...

Free 1 CD version : download and try it now!

Direct Mandriva Linux Download via dedicated high-speed FTP access

The 6-CD (or 1-DVD) version includes and automatically installs additional software components (NVIDIA/ATI graphic cards drivers, Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, Java Runtime Environment and many others).

Mandriva Linux 2006 (puchase only according to the downloads page)

Mandriva Club Special Edition - Reserved to our Club Members !

This is taken this morning from the downloads page...

The point is non of those mention missing source OR dev packages... not to mention the information is just plain wrong.

My ISP's mirror has

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD.i586.idx 79 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD.i586.md5.asc 1 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD.i586.sha1.asc 1 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD1.i586.iso 712774 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD2.i586.iso 712540 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-CD3.i586.iso 712882 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-DVD.i586.idx 79 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-DVD.i586.iso 2138342 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-DVD.i586.md5.asc 1 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-2006-DVD.i586.sha1.asc 1 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-Mini-2006-CD.i586.idx 189 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-Mini-2006-CD.i586.iso 432802 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-Mini-2006-CD.i586.md5.asc 1 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

File: Mandriva-Linux-Free-Mini-2006-CD.i586.sha1.asc 1 KB 11/13/05 00:00:00

So Im not sure where I am meant to get the 4th CD from....

The DVD image might contain it .. basically who knows?

So I am left with pre-knowing that the 3CD's don't contain the devel libs or source?

The bottom line is we know Mandriva needs to make money but ....

This just doesn't help ....

By the time you have begged/borrowed/stolen the bandwidth got your CD's and installed you can be pretty miffed you can't get your graphics card working without finding the dev packages .(not to mention if its a modem problem ).. and if you have no internet its not easy to ask someone else to find the reason out....

Mandriva not only don't make it easy ..they actually try and mislead ...

Now for me now downloading an extra gig is trivial ... if I download and find I need the sources then .... no big deal I can get on line and find out .. research etc. and then download on my 22Mbit connection in very little time indeed I installed Mandriva 2006 as a network install and just pointed to the mirrors....

To me this somewhat defeats the object of having a free downloadable version ... those who can affford it can buy a powerpack and have high speed internet ...

My reasons for not purchasing are really simple .. I always used to buy the powerpack direct froma store to encourage the stores to stock Mandrake and linux in general and after getting a whole powerpack with faulty CD's ended up in a real mess ... I tried to contact Mandriva and the response was basically "go and sign up for the club or pay for mandriva expert) and this is a physical problem with the CD's ... you can actually SEE .. the pressing's were not even round....

So I ended up ready to ditch Mandriva (its hardly worth going to court over $50 or whatever it was back then) and a linux mag have Mandriva on the front cover .. so I give it one more try...

Wonderful... the FREE .. CD's work first time

Subject: [AG57522.001.001]

From: "MandrakeStore Customer Service Europe" <serviceeu@mandrakestore.com> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book

mdkstore-cseu : 28:04 02:54 : Reply received

Dear Client:

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Thank you for your request, unfortunately our service can not answer to

technical questions.

We invite you to visit www.mandrakeexpert.com where we have technical

people that will help you.

Thank you for your interest in our products and services.

Marie

MandrakeStore Customer Service

==============================================================================

me@yahoo.com : 25:04 07:41 : Incident created

MandrakeSoft, its becoming more like M$Soft. After using Mandrake for

years and purchasing several retail packs I'm at an end.

Firstly, the last release I bought was on poor quality CD's. Every

installation on every machine failed because it couldn't read the CD's.

Not a single one but errors on everyone. Free magazine CD's are better

quality!

emphasis added! email changed

Hence I will never purchase another mandriva product ever....

Thank you for your request, unfortunately our service can not answer to

technical questions.

How technical is the CD's I bought from you are faulty ?

How much would it cost them to give me a good copy ...

If this is the way they treat paying customers how do you expect them to treat non paying ones?

Are they not even concerned that the PowerPacks contain faulty CD's?

Guest tinks
Finally open file dialog and file managers are two different things. The first is used to choose which file(s) to open/save the latter is used to copy/rename/move/use etc files. If you use one name for the other it's confusing.

Sorry.. I will take care of these things in future.

Guest tinks

Gowator.. Your past experience with Commercial Mandriva pack was really unfortunate. I think most CD accompanying magazines will do better service than once you experienced.

For the upcoming release of Mandriva, Mandriva 2007, i would like to download any way the whole i386 repositories if the new release is again going to dissapoint especially throwing off major developement applications. Is the extra packages will be available in repositories at the time of the main CD/DVD ISO release?. If they are available, is there is any possibility to download them as ISO CD/DVD images?

For the upcoming release of Mandriva, Mandriva 2007, i would like to download any way the whole i386 repositories if the new release is again going to dissapoint especially throwing off major developement applications. Is the extra packages will be available in repositories at the time of the main CD/DVD ISO release?. If they are available, is there is any possibility to download them as ISO CD/DVD images?

What extra packages? If you mean the dev packages then yes. In fact almost every package is on the ftp servers the only exceptions are the propietary packages. But they are available from plf.

If you find unofficial ISOs somewhere on the net then it's possible. Btw there are there are websites which are selling ISOs cheaply like cheapbytes but there are others. You can save some money if you order from those guys. But of course Mandriva won't get anything from that money.

Last time I heard Mandriva had 13000 packages in its repos I don't think they will make ISOs from all the packages.

So Im not sure where I am meant to get the 4th CD from....

The DVD image might contain it .. basically who knows?

So I am left with pre-knowing that the 3CD's don't contain the devel libs or source?

The bottom line is we know Mandriva needs to make money but ....

This just doesn't help ....

By the time you have begged/borrowed/stolen the bandwidth got your CD's and installed you can be pretty miffed you can't get your graphics card working without finding the dev packages .(not to mention if its a modem problem ).. and if you have no internet its not easy to ask someone else to find the reason out....

I never said anything about a 4th CD :huh:

All I meant was that you download the packages from the main repo if you have to use Mandriva offline and don't have a pay-for 'Powerpack' DVD version. You'd goto easyurpmi anyway to setup your repos so its not something hidden, although it is not properly advertised by Mandriva. It'd even work better on a crappy internet connection because you're downloading a whole lot of small files instead of a few big ones - much easier to pickup the download again without losing things.

• 4 weeks later...
First of all: I am sure that the developers at Mandriva will probably never read this thread. Nonetheless, I am interested in your vision on Mandriva, even from those on this board who don't use it anymore. What would you like to see in future releases? What do you expect from Mandriva 2007/2008/2009/...? What could improve this distro? Share your ideas and dicuss if certain things are useful or not, innovative or not, needed or not. I will post a list of some stuff I'd like to see in future Mandy releases later.

Please, do not let this turn into a flamewar but into a useful and fruitful discussion for everyone. If you want to point out what other distros did well and things that Mandriva could learn from them, post these things as long as you keep it civil.

And now, post your ideas/visions/hopes/suggestions. I am really interested in your comments. :)

I agree with you in that Mandriva is good but not enough stuff. Mandy 2007 version would be better than the predecessor 2006, but in every respect IT IS NOT INNOVATIVE. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

Budapest, 060725

So why isn't it innovative then? Explain your reasoning for your comment? If it's because the packages aren't up-to-date, then you don't understand what Mandriva are achieving.

Mandriva is not a bleeding-edge distro. If you want that, use Fedora, or Arch or something else similar. And if you suffer from instability because of bleeding-edge, well there you go. Mandriva have gone for stability, and they don't provide major updates to KDE 3.5, etc for their distro. It always becomes a part of their new release.

I'd quite like to know why you don't think it's innovative, unless I've already hit the nail on the head.

Like I said, if I use a Mandriva kernel, the problems don't exist. So either I'm missing something in the kernel, or the apps that fail are failing because they are looking for something in the kernel.
Same for me: On my "salon" PC, I compiled my own kernel; now the "mandi" service always fails, and I have some trouble with WiFi.

Yves.