Your vision of Mandriva 2007/2008/2009/...

arctic

Mandriva doesn't make any money out of leaving the dev stuff out of the 'Free' edition CDs. All you have to do is goto easyurpmi and setup your repos - Mandriva puts all their software (except for the closed-source and proprietary stuff) out on the Internet for free in pakcage repositories.

That depends ...

If you sell someone 2 dozen eggs and then when they have taken them you let them know they don't get the boxes to carry them home (but the paid for package has the boxes) then its all part of the idea...

You can say the same for the nvidia drivers etc. Mandriva doesn't sell them ... it just only bundles them with the paid for edition.

If you are an old timer then you know to take your own empty egg boxes when getting your free eggs but first timers don't.

I lived for about 6 months a few years ago with just my mobile phone for an internet connection and I can assure you platitudes like you can download the dev packages doesn't really help.

If you need a CD version (7 CDs, 32 and 64 bit) please order the downloadable version by using the drop down menu located at the bottom of this page. The downloadable version includes the CD and DVD version.

Just isn't going to wash in a third world country where even having a telephone line is a luxury.

However like I said earlier perhaps non-commercial distro's are more suited to this.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I told you time and time again, I didn't introduce supermount. You need to read more carefully. And since I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem it's definitely not just me.

So yes, now you agree, that as I've compiled the kernel and not done anything abnormal, then Mandriva is the problem. :thanks:

I think its you that needs to read posts more carefully. What I was saying is that if you didn't do anything to the kernel then it can't be something to do with buildign the kernel. This was a couple of posts ago now (https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...mp;st=105)

This is what I was telling you, Mandriva have done something that stops us from compiling kernels, because of god knows what. Only they could tell us why, which is why we said to stop patching the kernel with supermount and god knows what else. But also, it seems that another point, stop making your apps work with just your own kernels, either with patches to the kernel to make them work, or some weird config that doesn't allow it to work with other self-compiled kernels.

I'm telling you that I've had no trouble compiling my own kernels with Mandriva with any patching or problems with apps afterwards. It sounds like something specific to your, and a few other people's, configuration or environment. I've never said its not a problem but it sounds more like a bug that affects a few people rather than an over-arching design fault.

You kept suggesting that I had introduced supermount, and I had to keep repeating that I didn't.

I really can't be bothered arguing the point. It doesn't work, that's it. So it works for you, I'm really happy. So a one off working, against many that don't. Fluke methinks.

I kept asking because it doesn't make sense that you'd get supermount errors if you hadn't specifically patched it into the kernel, I also suggested the only other logical possibility is that it was a problem ooutside the kernel. You can hardly conclude its a fluke that it works for me just because you and a few others have the problem. Sounds like any typical bug - it affects some users and not others depending on their environment/configuration.

And that's why I agreed with you that Mandriva HAS done something that causes problems.

We'll probably never know where the problem resides, but it seems a number of things fail when you compile your own kernel. This is what leads me to believe that various things in Mandriva stop working, as soon as you compile your own kernel, versus using their kernels.

Like I said, if I use a Mandriva kernel, the problems don't exist. So either I'm missing something in the kernel, or the apps that fail are failing because they are looking for something in the kernel.

You'd have to agree with me that it's damn weird and shouldn't be happening!!! :P

If you are an old timer then you know to take your own empty egg boxes when getting your free eggs but first timers don't.

I'm talking about the standard Mandriva software install tools that everyone uses, not some super-hack that only experts and 'old-timers' know about.

I lived for about 6 months a few years ago with just my mobile phone for an internet connection and I can assure you platitudes like you can download the dev packages doesn't really help.

If you have an internet con. capable of downloading 3CDs (~2GB) then you have one capable of downloading the dev tools or even the entire main repository (~4GB) for later offline installation of stuff.

Or if you bought the CDs instead just put up a few more $ for the DVD or 6-CD version.

I don't realyl see the problem here?

And that's why I agreed with you that Mandriva HAS done something that causes problems.

We'll probably never know where the problem resides, but it seems a number of things fail when you compile your own kernel. This is what leads me to believe that various things in Mandriva stop working, as soon as you compile your own kernel, versus using their kernels.

Like I said, if I use a Mandriva kernel, the problems don't exist. So either I'm missing something in the kernel, or the apps that fail are failing because they are looking for something in the kernel.

Same here, I've compiled kernels hundreds of times, but I've encountered problems compiling a vanilla kernel for my friend's computer running mandriva (i introduced her to linux). Network suddenly doesn't work, and other mysterious problems i had no time to solve. I'm migrating her to Ubuntu or Arch linux soon.

I don't realyl see the problem here?

If you have an internet con. capable of downloading 3CDs (~2GB) then you have one capable of downloading the dev tools or even the entire main repository (~4GB) for later offline installation of stuff.

Or if you bought the CDs instead just put up a few more $ for the DVD or 6-CD version.

Nope you obviously don't ...

Try this:

1. Call your ISP and ask them to suspend your line for 3 months.

2. Go to a local uni and beg them to let you download Mandriva on their DSL line or buy a $5 set from some linux CD distributer or get it off a magazine ...

3. Go home and install the 3CD's

4. Now work out how to get the development stuff

This is exactly the situation people in India etc. are in...

They get the CD's where they can .. from a magazine or someone they know at a university etc. they don't just blow a months salary on PowerPack ... and if they did and find it doesn't contain the dev packages they are not going to rebuy the other version.

Guest tinks

Finally you agreed with the fact that Firefox (generally mozilla tools) have their own file managers. But i am wondering... Why they are prefering the GNOME dialog box everytime?. I think Open Suse 10 uses the mozilla open dialog box for the firefox that comes with distribution. I think they tweaked firefox a little bit. I suggest mandriva also do it for the user convenience. My suggestion is to leave KDE file dialoge box while running firefox on KDE and the current GNOME file dialoge box only when running GNOME. That will do better jobs.

Finally i am asking... Is it possible?

Edited by tinks

It is surely possible because it's open source. But I seriously doubt Mandriva will spend valuable resources on these things. As I wrote earlier Mandriva is packaging software and not writing it.

Second It's a GTK open file dialog not a GNOME open file dialog. GNOME is using GTK so you can see this open file dialog in GNOME too but it comes with GTK. I never saw an application which is using two different widget sets. By your idea under KDE FF and all the other applications should use QT which is the widget set used by KDE. Ther's no point to use one and then the other under a different DE.

My NVu is dated 20050630. It's more than a year old. It seems to me the the mozilla guys have stopped using their widget set for whatever reason. And they have chosen to use another widely used widget set which they don't have to develop so they can focus on wring just a browser, mail client etc.

Finally open file dialog and file managers are two different things. The first is used to choose which file(s) to open/save the latter is used to copy/rename/move/use etc files. If you use one name for the other it's confusing.

Edited by dexter11

2. Go to a local uni and beg them to let you download Mandriva on their DSL line or buy a $5 set from some linux CD distributer or get it off a magazine ...

So why didn't you download the full repository when you had access to that DSL line?

That's the point I was trying to make in my previous post: if you had a connection capable of downloading 3CDs you could just have easily downloaded the full repository plus the first CD or even just the boot CD.

Edited by timelord100

Maybe they weren't available when he had the connection, and subsequently when the connection was cancelled or whatever they became available, but didn't have the resource to download them.

That might explain it :P

So why didn't you download the full repository when you had access to that DSL line?

That's the point I was trying to make in my previous post: if you had a connection capable of downloading 3CDs you could just have easily downloaded the full repository plus the first CD or even just the boot CD.

Well, first you'd have to know ... secondly perhaps you are not doing it yourself, when i had to do this I had to ask someone to do it for me in their work time... thirdly there is time... it can take 2-3 days to download a CD when the mirrors keep stalling etc. and you are on dialup. I used to use the work connection and leave it running at night for the download then have to ask someone with a CD writer to write the CD and explain how to burn it as an ISO etc. in any case I only had a gig of storage space so I could only do one at once.

but also the downloads page says

Mandriva Linux Free

Free 3 CD versions for your power-trials

Designed for Linux power-users, it consists of 3 CDs packed with purely Free (as in free-speech and free-beer) software. It is available in 2 versions (i586 and x86-64).

If you want to trial the full power of our distribution, Mandriva Linux 2006 Free Edition is for you.

having said that ... the link isn't working http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/free

Maybe they weren't available when he had the connection, and subsequently when the connection was cancelled or whatever they became available, but didn't have the resource to download them.

which ratrher adds to ianw's observation

but mainly because you don't relalise they are missing until you need them...

just today I had to build a mga driver and needed loads of xorg dev libs... I didn't know I was putitng the old card in till today but if I didn't have the dev packages I'd be stuffed...