Your vision of Mandriva 2007/2008/2009/...

arctic

Didn't Mandriva ship the up 4GB kernels before the 10.0 version got released?

Yes but they were installed as kernelx.x.x-x-enterprise-mdk or such, they were on the boot CD and auto installed if it detected over the amount of RAM etc.

but then the problem was the non-free stuff .. for me especially the network driver for the nforce.

I might be remembering wrong about exact versions, I know where I lived and where the PC was at the time but couldn't swear what version .. I do remember 10.0 though so i think it was either a late 9.2 or early 10.0 ...

If you want to be sure Im sure the posts are there, just find Gowator and enterprise ???

hmmm

your right it was 9.2

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...ost&p=87511

Jan 18 2004, 03:34 PM

and now I re-read myself it was the actual straw that broke the camels back!

However I also found where the trouble started

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...ost&p=53063

Jul 25 2003, 10:02 AM

Cripes, I actually lost 6 months of my life trying to get the freakin enterprise kernel to work without a reinstall!

That 512MB RAM was the worst purchase ever, after a defective PwoerPack that never worked that is!

Why didn't I just take it out and throw it away and make do with 512MB ???

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to agree to disagree for the time being (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

The error appeared as CD's wouldn't automount, so I tried to mount manually using:

CODE

mount /mnt/cdrom

as you can see from fstab this would normally work fine, but it reported back a supermount error. Strange

That is very strange, it may have something to do with the fact I don't have a floppy drive in this laptop so supermount was never "enabled" in whatever way it does that.

Still I had no trouble compiling kernels on it and they work, perfectly with no 'supermount-hangover' :) Give one of them a try (http://linuxonacer5020.sourceforge.net/), it'd be interesting to see if you still get the supermount problems.

Cripes, I actually lost 6 months of my life trying to get the freakin enterprise kernel to work without a reinstall!

That 512MB RAM was the worst purchase ever, after a defective PwoerPack that never worked that is!

Pretty messed up solution. Throw out the hardware because the software is broken?

Guest tinks

I have been using Mandr(ake)iva from the version 9.0. I am still staying with it since it feels like better than other distros to me and some of my friends. I woud like to turn the attention of Madriva developers who are busy with the first release of Mandriva 2007. I am continuing with the hope that my suggestion will reach them.

* Installation

1. Try to include an option to boot from hardisk like Suse is doing with their customised polished GRUB since that will be useful for users who wish to place the removable media kept in the drive for some time.

2. Increase the quality of text rendering throughout the installation wizard.

3. The package selection area should be rebuild from the scratch. Give choices like SImple package selection and an advanced one.

4. Avoid considering dependencies libraries for packages as stand alone packages. Most users spend max time with package selection part since it is too time consuming where other installation options are quite simple and straight forward.

5. Show the slide screen eventhough the copy the cds to hardisk option was selected.

6. The bootloader should search and add other linux distributions like Debian and Suse. And the GRUB art work should be more professional (eg: Suse). The LILO apperance and layout should be more attractive and easy to use (keep large entries than smaller ones)

7. In the Hadware Configuration part, add an option to hear the sound output from the sound card.

* System

1. Add frame buffer support to older graphics card also ( how Ubuntu and Fedora is doing? )

2. The KDM/GDM should be attractive with improved themes.

3. So far, GDM with KDE and KDM with Gnome are not co-operative. If we use GDM and log in to KDE, when we try to logout, the other options rather than logout will not be shown. Same with Gnome with KDM. I think Fedora 5 solved the problem quite nicely.

4. Include the Suspend to Disk/RAM options when try to logoff machine. Look at SUSE implemented them with Kpowersave.

5. Improve hibernation/suspension support on laptops. ( still it is an issue on my HP Compaq nx6120 laptop ).

6. Improve the network applet. Include the network monitoring icon (the two Tx and Rx blinking lights) when connected. The ' network monitor ' option should start more quickly.

7. Please include some quite and cool startup music.

8. The default Galaxy scheme should be improved in look. ( Apply more Glassy look like QtCurve theme for KDE)

9. Try to include high quality themes (like Baghira, Lipstik, QtCurve etc.) with KDE by removing old shaggy ones.

10. Also include fantastic Icon theme (like Crystal Clear)

11. Try to add repositories from EasyURPMI ( PLF repositories) for Free edition of Mandriva.

12. Try to integrate KDE theme in GTK programs.

13. Avoid GNOME file managers while working in KDE ( like the Open File option in Firefox )

14. Avoid unwanted MCC tools such as menudrake while more simple and efficient kmenu exists. use the new GNOME meu editor for GNOME environment.

15. The KDE Control Center can follow the model of Kubuntu and now in MEPIS.

16. Choose best open source applications for each task at default. ( Kolourpaint instead of Kpaint, Kcdlabel instead of Kover, Kmymoney or SugarCRM instead of GNUCash, Digikam instead of GPhoto2 etc.)

17. Please avoid multiple applications for same task. Choose only best ones defaultly.

18. Include more multimedia applications ( which is the plus point of Mandrake/Mandriva so far) like transcode, frontends for mencoder and transcode, tag editors, AVIDemux, VLC media player, KDE frontend for Mplayer etc.)

19. Include more developement packages (please don't neglect the developement section. Most my friends dissapointed with Mandriva 2006 since developement packages were missing. eg: Kdevelope, Eclipse, Glade, IDE for Python, Ruby etc. )

20. Include Free Java like in Fedora 5.

21. Please integrate KDE and Gnome themes with Open Office.

22. Include a few 3D games such as Torcs, Xmoto, Cube, Flight Simulator Gear etc.

23. Include mobile device packages such as Kmobile tools, GPRS Easy Connect etc.

24. Also can inlude superkaramba like desktop enhancements.

25. Include best desktop search tools (beagle, kat etc). Solve the ' memory eating' behaviour and other drawbacks with Kat.

26. Try to include the LATEST versions of each software components ( AMndriva 2006 disappointed with the release of outdated versions of Open Office, Firefox, Gnome etc)

27. Very good to see an introduction to the Mandriva Linux Desktop using free animation techniques like Xgl or dotGNU graphics effects.

28. Include attractive and animated mouse cursors.

29. Include XGL 3D effects for KDE and Gnome (for atleast one if not possible). There mjst be an option to enable or disable it according to the system hardware and resource capabilities.

30. Speed up the bootup and shutdown process (Fedora 5 is quite going nicely)

* MCC (Mandriva Controll Center)

1. Add an option in the system menu like ' Administrative Tools ' to select the components of MCC independently (Like Install Software, Remove Software with current versions of Mandriva)

2. The package installation and removal should be more functional. The rpmdrake should start more quickly as it take long time to find the installed or available packages.

3. Try to include the Install and Remove software options on a single tool.

4. The most annoying thing with MCC is that the MCCs windows are not getting refreshed regularly. If there is any window up on another window, the content area of the window at bottom will be completely erased. It is very difficult to see the progress when installing the critical tasks such as installing packages, backing up the system etc. I think Mandriva developers should solve this critical proble urgentlty.

5. The MCC should look more professional.

6. Please keep the window size of each component to a required one.

7. Reduce the length and height of command buttons. ( eg: Backup tool)

8. The help system of MCC should look more professional. The appropriate section of help document should be shown corresponding of particular task.

9. It is very good to see a Help Manager for Mandriva than using HTML files in browsers.

10. Add maximum countries in the frequency range for TVCard configuration tool.

11. Please build a tool to read clean and simple information about each hardware of the system. (Eg: Harddisk - Include details such as Manufacturer, Model, Capacity, RPM etc.)

12. Include configuration tools for Bluetooth, irda etc.

13. Try to resolve the functionality deficiencies with tools (eg: While installing software from EasyURPMI repositories, if the internet connection is broken, the progress of installing package stills without any response. It should show some messages such as 'network is down' and should continue if the network is up.

14. The boot theme configuration tool should be more functional with easy to use options (Please avoid following the technique of seperate windows like GIMP.)

15. Improve samba configuration utilities (both Server and Mount points).

16. So far was unable to add new samba users graphically. But the Samba configuration utility provided by KDE Control Center works nicely.

17. Include a sound card output verifying tool by playing sample sounds.

18. Improve the Hostname definition tool.

19. Include a component in MCC which will enable us to create a boot floppy or disk.

20. Please try to remove the Mandriva Online services from Mandriva free editions if the company is not giving updates to the free editions.

21. Integrate KDE and Gnome themes with MCC and other exclusive Mandriva tools.

These are a few suggestion apart from me as a well wisher and core user of Mandriva Linux distribution. I think most of the problems given in the comments will be already picked and solved for the next release of Mandriva. I am not sure whether any developer would consider such a quite long user level request. But at the same time, i am keeping some hope since Mandrake/Mandriva is really growing well form its childhood days to a well appreciated and accepted, easy to use and secure Linux Distribution.

All the best.

I think many of the packages, skins and icons you want included are already there, like baghire, lipstik, crystal clear, vlc.

Xgl will be in 2007, it is right now but it doesnt work for me yet :(

most other points I agree with

Edited by ffi

Tinks most of the software you think is in the Mandriva repos. Maybe they're not on the CDs or DVD but there are Mandriva packages.

For login\logoff music there is a Mandriva sound contest.

Mandriva is packaging software and not writing it so tips like "don't use GNOME fileopen dialogs in KDE with Firefox" and "avoid using multiple windows like GIMP" are pointless.

Pretty messed up solution. Throw out the hardware because the software is broken?

I dunno, if you see the post below Ix gave me some pretty good advice....

Either do it quick or keep spare wives and children etc. around. But I must warn you, it is very expensive! :mystismiles:

Of course at the time 512MB was a bit more expensive than today but 6 months of my life was wasted over this.... I guess its like waiting for a bus ..

If you wait and the bus comes before you could have walked home you are happy

If you wait and the bus never comes you are pissed

If you wait and the bus comes but you would already have been home if you walked then .....?

Some problems are just not worth solving.... and each time I treid I ended up with no network ...

My objectives were

1) Stick with mandrake

2) get it working with a stock kernel so I could upgrade

Lets examine #2

Lots of devices are in the Mandriva HCL so you expect these to work but if you compile your own kernel then you can't.

Then let me direct you to the support forum of a paid for product ...

http://support.bibblelabs.com/webboard/viewtopic.php?t=4791

especially

I would rather bibblelabs spent their time on fixing bugs and addressing some of the usability issues I can think of, instead of working out why people who insist on compiling their own kernels break things.

but for me it was mainly hassle of having to build modules for the PWC webcam and my nforce hardware drivers ...each time I upgraded.

Notebook-support might improve, since it seems that laptop(aka multimedia)-kernel gets officially supported in mandriva 2007 (hope it will be installed as standard on notebooks)

see:

http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/DistroChangelog

the wishes about design and "include this or that application by default" are somewhat problematic to address imho, since everybody has a different opinion on which design is best, which application is the right (there are no rights and wrongs, just the application suits you or it doesn't, but that varies from user to user)

for my part I can live with galaxy as it is, if the technical part gets correctly done, which is much more important imho

OpenOffice is best installed from OOo (it's rpm-based now, it works, and you always get the newest stable version ahead of any distro :D , btw I like OOo's Icons much more than those in Mandriva at the moment, but thats just a matter of taste)

what should be done though is not to install to much by default (although there are people out there who think otherwise)

one thing I hate (but not only with mandriva) are those somewhat grazy dependencies, you just can't uninstall mandriva's firefox, if you're using gnome and evolution (I prefer to use the official firefox)

offtopic: @arctic sorry for losing the penguins, they looked much nicer :D

Edited by lavaeolus

That is very strange, it may have something to do with the fact I don't have a floppy drive in this laptop so supermount was never "enabled" in whatever way it does that.

Still I had no trouble compiling kernels on it and they work, perfectly with no 'supermount-hangover' :) Give one of them a try (http://linuxonacer5020.sourceforge.net/), it'd be interesting to see if you still get the supermount problems.

I'm just compiling 2.6.17.1 from kernel.org now, but from booting with a Mandriva i686 kernel, to see if there is any difference. Before I was using the standard 2.6.12.22mdk or something earlier as it was a while ago now when I compiled 2.6.16, it could have been 2.6.12.18mdk or similar. Now, i686 might be better. Will update.

17. Please avoid multiple applications for same task. Choose only best ones defaultly.

18. Include more multimedia applications ( which is the plus point of Mandrake/Mandriva so far) like transcode, frontends for mencoder and transcode, tag editors, AVIDemux, VLC media player, KDE frontend for Mplayer etc.)

These 2 seem to contradict each other - Mandriva includes xine and its frontends Kaffiene (for KDE) and Totem (for GNOME) as the default player. Installing mplayer as well violates the 'multiple applications per task' rule, although in this case it might be good to make an exception since mplayer can often play things that xine can't (some Real Media videos in my experience).

Still all this stuff is in the repositories.

19. Include more developement packages (please don't neglect the developement section. Most my friends dissapointed with Mandriva 2006 since developement packages were missing. eg: Kdevelope, Eclipse, Glade, IDE for Python, Ruby etc. )

All these packages are in the repositories, they just aren't on the 3CD 'Free' edition since otherwise it would be a lot more than 3CDs.

20. Please try to remove the Mandriva Online services from Mandriva free editions if the company is not giving updates to the free editions.

They are giving free updates - see the Update program in the Mandriva Control Centre. Mandriva Online is supposed to be a pay-for service that is better (I'm not sure how). As usual Mandriva have confused people with this - they see the Mandriva Update applet started by default in their panel and think Mandriva has gone to a pay-for updates system, like Red Hat Network for eg.

Otherwise some pretty good points. Maybe some of you guys should join the cooker mailing list and discuss your suggestions there - you'll usually get a direct response from the actual developers that way. Now's the time to suggest changes, they probably won't change anything once the beta process is underway.

Mandriva Online is supposed to be a pay-for service that is better (I'm not sure how). As usual Mandriva have confused people with this - they see the Mandriva Update applet started by default in their panel and think Mandriva has gone to a pay-for updates system, like Red Hat Network for eg.

simply going to Mandriva Online seems to answer that. but perhaps i'm smarter than the average user :unsure:

I mean that it was confusing for the average user seeing Mandriva Online in their panel by default they will think that that's the way that Mandriva has to be updated. That page says nothing about the availability of updates for free using the default control centre update thingo.

A Linux distro that requires payment for updates would put a *lot* of people off.

Nope kernel 2.6.17.1 wasn't any better. Same problem with cd's not being able to mount, so obviously missing something from my raw kernel, that Mandriva has patched in theirs. Autofs will allow me to use it anyhow normally, so I can get around it, but it just shows kernel compiles on Mandriva ain't as easy as other distros.

I don't want to try someone's pre-compiled kernel, because I don't know what they have/haven't done, so there's definitely something not right.