Your vision of Mandriva 2007/2008/2009/...

arctic

they had a nice service some time ago, you could order an update-cd, with all patches up to the time of the creation of the cd

if you had a registered prosuite-pack you even got update cds automatically twice during its lifecycle

it is nothing compared to regular online-updating, but for someone with a slow internet-connection it was definitely nice

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should follow the lines of red hat and fedora, build a stable business-oriented suite on top of a totally free community-product, not this half-thing they have at the moment

sometimes I have the impression they want to please everyone, but that does not work and in the end rejects more people than it attracts

maybe mandriva should be a bit more informative about all this (upgrading, patches, patch-policy), this is one of their biggest problems imho, they don't communicate enough with their users

Perhaps you're looking for Security Advisories? I'm not sure what other communication you are asking for.

I know about these security annoncements, but the ones concerning firefox date from 24th of april, now you go to the mozilla-site and read in an announcement from 1st june that this version is outdated, so what should you think ?

on the mandriva security announcement you don't read anything about backports

I think that shows exactly their problem, they should be more offensive about their product, its inner workings and so on, then all this half-information would be no problem

but this is a problem with many linux-companies

ubuntu shows it, you just need to be loud enough and you will get the media

P.S. I love both mandriva and ubuntu, just in case someone might ask :D

You're not quite correct there. I configured a kernel on Mandriva, 2.6.16 in fact, and supermount IS still being used for CD-ROMS's. I found that after kernel compiling, it would give an error when attempting to mount a CD relating to supermount. I never even introduced supermount into my kernel. You can't because it doesn't exist, and the patch was for earlier 2.6 kernels, and therefore I couldn't even introduce it even if I wanted to. I got around this by simply using autofs for mounting the CD's, because this was the only way I was able to find. If you didn't have this problem, then I'd obviously be interested in the steps you chose to compile your kernel.

The problem is when you compile, it reads your config from /boot/config, etc, so the default Mandriva kernel options were being used in my kernel. However, if an option didn't exist in my kernel, due to the lack of a patch, then my kernel didn't attempt to use this option. It can't if it doesn't exist.

Here's the post here that relates to this, the steps taken for compiling, and all the problems encountered. I'm not the only one who experienced this, so it's not just me!

Mandriva definitely uses hal/fstab-sync/gvm/etc. for CD/DVDs and USB devices from 10.2. I've been told by their developers on the Cooker mailing list and they have documented it here: http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main...eRemovableMedia Or look at any Mandriva box whith the default kernels - it only uses supermount for the floppy drive.

The steps I used where to download the vanilla source for my kernel, add in the relevant contents of the 3rdparty/ directory (all of which are device drivers compiled as modules and don't have anything to do with supermount), load the existing Mandriva config with make xconfig and recompile. The kernel RPMs I made can be found here: http://linuxonacer5020.sourceforge.net/

As I said before if you manually added in supermount its probably trying to use that. I didn't add supermount into my kernels (its not their by default - you have to download it and patch it in don't you?) because I don't have a floppy drive in the computer I was making the kernels for. Even if I did I'd probably just use autofs or manual mounting for the floppy, there's nothing forcing you to use supermount if you compile your own kernel for Mandriva. You'll probably agree with me when I say I think its something best avoided.

I think that shows exactly their problem, they should be more offensive about their product, its inner workings and so on, then all this half-information would be no problem

but this is a problem with many linux-companies

ubuntu shows it, you just need to be loud enough and you will get the media

P.S. I love both mandriva and ubuntu, just in case someone might ask :D

http://www.mandriva.com/en/security is their page for security advisories. They do keep Firefox and anything else in the main repository up to date with security and bugfix patches. They could do a better job of explaining the whole backports thing though (a FAQ perhaps?).

I've been using Mandriva for years, but you were the first one who told me about that security page. Didn't know that before!

So, let me summarise: Maybe we should advertise those sort of pages more on this website, maybe include that in the FAQ's or post that info somewhere where it shall actually be seen.

Helmut

http://www.mandriva.com/en/security is their page for security advisories. They do keep Firefox and anything else in the main repository up to date with security and bugfix patches. They could do a better job of explaining the whole backports thing though (a FAQ perhaps?).

I know the site, and I once found a statement about the backporting thing, but don't ask me where it is now, seems to be hidden very well

yes a FAQ or something like this directly on the front security page would be well

on the other hand Novell seems to be as uninformative on this, but I had only a quick look at their Suse security page

I've been using Mandriva for years, but you were the first one who told me about that security page. Didn't know that before!

So, let me summarise: Maybe we should advertise those sort of pages more on this website, maybe include that in the FAQ's or post that info somewhere where it shall actually be seen.

Helmut

security advisories are advertised here in the forum

look here:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showforum=33

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons ... based on experience from 7.0 through 10.1 then lately 2006 I expect a totally new product name each year and the same tired old look.

I expect URMPI will still be a secret to noobies and documentation of the mandriva tools will still be flaky ...

I expect them to try at least 4 new business models a year, usually 3-4 concurrently.

/doom off

God!!! You are quiet a pessimist, don't you have something positive to wish for Mandriva? :)

LOL I was being tongue in cheek but to be honest I think Gael's influence was part of what kept it together ...

but seriously when you have been using Mandrake/riva as long as me I bet you will say the same :D

I think its a priority issue.... Mandriva has excellent potential but never quite leverages it.

Not to mention easy urmpi and 101 other little things.

If someone buys one of these for mandriva we have hope...

roundtuit.jpg