Sync recommendation

Dutch

Can anyone suggest the best route and program to sync a Palm T|X handheld with Linux?

I've read many threads at different sites and I just want a reasonably reliable method that doesn't involve Windows!

Any thoughts would be appreciated. :unsure:

D

This depends on what you use on the linux side... As a matter of fact T|X syncs with an application/applications not with an operating system (be it Windows or Linux). Therefore, there several ways of syncing your T|X using

1. opensync/multisync (allows for wireless syncing but only supports very few apps)

2. jpilot - this is a program similar to the palm desktop for windows with similar functionality

3. kpilot allows you to sync with Kontact. I never used it, so can't tell you much.

4. gnome-pilot daemon, especially useful if you use evolution.

5. CLI tools such as pilot-link.

I use evolution. It has all conduits required for syncing of appointments, addressbook and tasks. With gnome-pilot, you can also do other things such as backup.

Depending on your Linux distro, some minor tweaking may be required for the OS to correctly recognize and mount the device. Once this is done and /dev/pilot symbolic link is created, syncing with evolution is just a breeze. Fire up evolution -> tools -> pilot settings, enter the settings required, configure conduits, then press the sync button on the cable, or tap the hotsync button on the device. That's all you need.

If you want to sync wirelessly, you need to install multisync/opensync software and multisync plugin for evolution. Syncing with multisync is quite straightforward, but it does not allow copying from the pilot to evo or back, you can only sync. Also, you cannot install files, or do backup.