New kde-3.5.2 by MDE

mmodem

We do advise smart as the install/update/uninstall manager tool but you can still use the mandriva tools urpmi/rpmdrake.

Gnome? As i remember we didnt provide any new gnome packages.

No you are entirely correct mmodem - but it provides me with alternative GUI to play a game or two during downloads etc :)

I did try SMART once before, but I managed to screw things up so reverted to the urpmi.

Damn! I suppose I'll have to start reading up on smart now - not that I'm bright enough to understand any of it :(

Never mind eh! I managed to sort it by kicking into gnome and removing older/installing newer.

Thanks for your hard work though, It's great to be able have the "latest/greatest" when mandriva only want to provide the newer stuff when they release a new distro version. It's very much appreciated.

regards

John

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but you are mistaken. It is possible to have libmDNSResponder installed with installed avahi. See the following 2 CLI outputs:

I dont know how you have done things.

In my system i have avahi and when avahi is installed it obsoletes mDNSResponder so i really dont make a clue how you still have mDNSResponder installed, still ill enforce it in next kdelibs release that ill do today.

Add MDE repo

Log out of KDE and boot into Icewm (if icewm is not installed: urpmi icewm)

Open MCC

Remove kde packages

Install mde xorg

install mde qt

install kde

Good luck

Well, this not help to much

I reinstalled my mandriva with gnome 2.10, and I want to install Kde 3.5.2 (as I love KDE)

But things are, which commands should I use to install kde, have to select one by one package, is not there more a simple way. Thx in advance

You must (well not must but I find it more convenient since you will have to install a few 100 packages and a GUI gives a better overview) install through the MCC (look in the wiki) in Icewm. Boot into icewm, open the MCC, search for xorg and install the mde packages. :) Here some screenshots to make things more clear.

p.png

p.png

Is mde homepage http://www.mde.djura.org/ ??? Because there I dont see where I can get instructions

sorry for being totally noob on installing another window manager

:wall: I FIND =)

Now how do I do this???

"go to runlevel 3 with init 3"

For what i see this is the first yo install mde rpms (i mean rpms :))

So the first steps about adding urpmi repositories i see that you alredy saw it in our mde webpage.

If you would have read previous posts here in mandrivausers.org you would see all your doubts taken, anyway ill explain again.

So in first i do recommend uninstall the kde you have installed since if changing versions will cause that some menus will appear twice (still didnt had the time to fix this), to do that you can use in kde the tool rpmdrake-remove.

Then you run again rpmdrake and choose the mde kde rpms and install them, if you for some reason you logout of the kde session where from you uninstalled kde, you can still enter in icew or in gnome (case you have installed gnome) and run rpmdrake and install kde.

I think that in icew you dont have menus to run rpmdrake by click, so you have to run a console/terminal and as root type rpmdrake.

Or you can also (this considering you still are in the kde session where from you uninstalled kde), open a console/terminal, become root and then just type

init 3

then press enter and you will enter in text mode, from there you can simple run as root:

urpmi kdebase-suite

and you will get the necessary kde packages installed to enter again in kde, then you can install the restant packages.

After you have done urpmi kdebase-suite in init 3 mode, you can just reboot or jur type again as root:

init 5

and you will return to the previous session.

hope now you get it.

Edited by mmodem

I on a friends computer as my internet is not so fast, its downloading and installing the packages

I notice that you dont have the kde-i18n-pt_BR since Im from brazil, is there a way i can implement this or u can make the rpm for that language

sorry again for trobling you

;)

Thx in advance

I notice that you dont have the kde-i18n-pt_BR since Im from brazil, is there a way i can implement this or u can make the rpm for that language

So far you have the kde-i18n-pt thats is also Portuguese.

We used to do the i18n packages but we stopped since its very time comsuming and so far there wasnt mmore any users complaining about, so we only do our languages, portuguese and sweden, but we can do if users do request.

Ill ask Thac to also do for Portuguese Brasilian.

By the way you instead get the packages by rpmdrake (that will erase packages after installed) you could instead use urpmi --noclean that will leave the packages in /var/cache/urpmi or first download the packages locally and add that local media as an local repository as i do.