Toshiba 320CDT

Guest generalchris

Guest generalchris

Hello,

I have recently aquired a Toshiba 320CDT. It has 64 megs RAM and about a 5 gig HD. I am wondering will Mandriva work on it? If so, what version? If not, which Linux operating system will? I am new to Linux, and am quite interested in it. Thanks!

You could use Mandriva on it, but KDE/Gnome would be a problem because they use a lot of memory. They might run slow on your system.

You could use a Window Manager instead like ICEWM, XFCE, Blackbox, Fluxbox, etc, etc instead if it's really slow for you.

I have a Toshiba 300CDS with 2GB hard drive and 32MB RAM. I don't know how far it is from your CDT (apart from the difference in RAM).

Mandriva can be installed on it up to version 9.1 (maybe 9.2). It runs best with IceWM as a window manager; Fluxbox is OK too, although a bit more hungry on RAM.

Newer versions (10.0+) have something changed in the installer that keeps them from installing (Perl errors). Anyway, those use a 2.6 kernel by default, and I've seen with both Mandrake and Debian, that anything 2.6-based does not run on this laptop.

My 300CDS ran Mdk9.1 for a long time.

Then I switched to Damn Small Linux. This is the best distro I've used on this laptop! It is so efficient, that I can start TWO X servers if I want! And it can be updated with Debian packages (don't touch the base-system packages though). Just excellent. Unfortunately, I kept having problems with the French localization.

My laptop currently runs latest Debian, with the 2.4 kernel. It is lighter on resources than Mandrake (but not quite as user-friendly) and it runs very well; it is still much heavier than DSL, though.

Yves.