trying to install webmin [solved]

gem-in-eyez

received this error when I installed webmin:

Creating uninstall script /etc/webmin/uninstall.sh ..

..done

Changing ownership and permissions ..

Chowning /etc/webmin/miniserv.pem

..done

Running postinstall scripts ..

-----

Failed to determine Webmin root from SERVER_ROOT, SCRIPT_FILENAME or the full command line

-----

..done

Attempting to start Webmin mini web server..

Starting Webmin server in /home/teager/test

..done

Webmin has been installed and started successfully. Use your web

browser to go to.......

can someone help me out?

Edited by gem-in-eyez

I basically copy and pasted the command from their website:

rpm -U webmin-1.260-1.noarch.rpm

the message it gave me I did not bring with me to work so I cannot let you know until later on this evening when I get home.

I then tried the urpmi webmin and it told me that it was already installed &/or updated.

Thus I then tried to access it with the browser and it gave me this page cannot be displayed message.

seeing that I can install the tgz file, when I used gunzip it told me that the file was not compressed properly. (I should tell you that all this was done through putty and I had to download the file on my NT server to the ftp folder and using putty I ftp the file to my linux box...yeah I am still noob....) I then tried to get the other sources for install from their site, but had problems with the install of Win32::Daemon Perl module. so I abandoned that route.

In the end I did some more research on the ftp commands and found out how to somewhat copy multiple files to my linux box.

Here are the steps that I took (sorry about all the info, may not be relevant but I just want to make sure that you know what I did):

1) unrared the tar.gz file on my NT box and placed the folder in the ftp directory

2) using putty, ftp'd the files (mget *.* from within the folder) to my linux box under a user's home dir

3) realized that the files got copied to my users d-top instead so I Su root and then ran the ./setup.sh file

4) did the install as it said on the webpage and got that error message "Failed to determine Webmin root from SERVER_ROOT, SCRIPT_FILENAME or the full command line"

5) did a cp *.### all its files to a webmin folder I created in the user's home folder an reran the ./setup.sh file

6) install was fine but message again came up.

-tested it out with a maxthon browser and got the message that the page cannot be displayed.

-Realized that I don't have the DNS setup yet on my box I went locally to the Linux box and in the gui tried the browser to access it and again got that cannot be displayed message.

- tried to access it using the lynx page and was also unable to get it to work... however I do not recall the message given to me.

so now I am at the point where I am trying to read up on setting a DNS so that I can get the hostname to function properly. Unforunately I need to contact the provider of my Domain name to get them to direct the name to my router at home.

Edited by gem-in-eyez

OK, its just confused ....

Your first one might not have had the parts taken out that interfere with the mandrake tools unless you got a special mandrake version (and I doubt it else they would have instructed you to use urpmi)

Then the database said it was installed

What you could have done at this point is just do a reinstall....

however you have then complicated it by adding a third one...

I think if you

1) urmpe webmin

will remove the rpm stuff and hopefully some of the tar stuff if its half installed

2) delete all the stuff you can find for webmin in /etc/webmin and then do a

updatedb

then

locate webmin

3) clean up any scraps you find hanging about

4) urpmi webmin

:D

nice thanks for the info. now I just wait to finish work and get back home on my box.

Really hoping to get this working properly cuz I want to set up my mail server, apache, samba is partially working fine... need to tweak it to get linux to see my windows shares and printer. amongst a few other things that I want to get away from having windows manage.

Will let you know what happens later on today, and thanks again for the help! :thumbs:

OK...I reinstalled my drake box ...and found out several things:

1) I am running version 9.0 and not 9.1 as I had orinially thought.

2) I am missing a 3rd CD for installation and was hoping that someone may have it or know where i can go about to get it. Linux Iso has version 9.0 but for ppc.

3) I just love this box...took me exactly 30 mins to reinstall and less than 10 mins to get samba and ventrilo going with 1 reboot!....with windows ...I clocked it at about 40 min and with reboots everytime!

Now I tried to do an urpmi webmin & got this msg:

To satisfy dependencies, the following packages are going to be installed (19 MB):

lsof-4.64-1mdk.i586

perl-Authen-PAM-0.13-3mdk.i586

perl-CGI-2.810-3mdk.noarch

perl-Net_SSLeay-1.18-3mdk.i586

webmin-0.990-6mdk.noarch

Is this OK? (Y/n)

answered Y and then

Please insert the medium named "International CD (x86) (cdrom3)" on device [/dev/hdc]

Press Enter when ready...

Obviously I cannot continue due to me not having the 3rd Install cd

so now I am going to install it with the rpm -U webmin-1.260-1.noarch.rpm command...

Now I receive this message:

[root@linuxbox tester]# rpm -Uvh webmin-1.260-1.noarch.rpm

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[root@linuxbox tester]# rpm -U webmin-1.260-1.noarch.rpm

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

now I am at the point where I am wondering if I should install the tar.gz file or do I need to do an urmpe webmin as described by Gowator?

well I decided to try installing the tar.gz file of webmin and got only 1 error.

The Perl SSLeay library is not installed. SSL not available.

Since I reinstalled my drake I chose the domain name to match that which I registered anc created at the dyndns site. with my laptop I used the browser and entered the box name with the domain name and port...which was also given during the post install and i can log in!

Have to tell you guys thanks for the help and all the information you had given me!

not sure where I had gone wrong, but I am glad you were able to help me out!

As a result I was also able to get my apache open to the internet also instead of just being accessible thru my intranet!

Cheers :thumbs:

Edited by gem-in-eyez

Glad it's all working. I was gonna ask why you were running version 9 instead of 10/10.1/LE2005/2006, since I don't think you can even pull the software from any ftp mirrors anymore for the missing CD3 of version 9.

Kind of a long story but I had downed 9.0 a while back ago and liked it copared to all the other releases of redhat cuz it offered a gui that I understood and when I found out how to start from the prompt I just kept with the learning of it and its commands.

Then I had stopped for a while and well windows was all that I was continuosly exposed to so I stuck with that. now that I work in a unix environment and my only way to move up is to learn either HP/UX or linux I decided to go back to the old 9.0 version.

I tried to upgrade to 10.1 but when I did the install in vmware I was getting lib errors for unreadable files during the install. Not sure if it was the image i got from linuxiso or if the vmware had caused issues with it but I decided to save myself the trouble and stick with what I got....IF it ain't broke then why fix it.....type of attitude.

For the 10.1 version I gave the 2 or 3 cd install to a friend cuz he was interested in learning and atleast I would find out if the error had to do with my gear or if it was othe cd's themselves.

I also downed the DVD but got the exact same error so pretty much that is the story why I have stayed with 9.0 for the updates I used the urpmi site but instead of choosing 9.0 as my flavor I chose 9.1

reason being is that when I chose the 9.0, my system would sit there looking for packages that it would never find. but wierd enough when I chose 9.1 ...well I got some things updated and well the system still works fine, so...

but I am atleast glad that I found you guys cuz the support you guys give is amazing. wish I had found yall sooner and stuck with my drake those 6 - 7 years ago.

well it seems I jumped the gun on this one here. Webmin does work, however I realized that after rebooting it seems to stop working and I get the message page cannot be displayed again.

Only thing I can think of is the squirrelmail that I had installed for my users to check their mail.

when I installed that I ran through the global config params I had rebooted and voila webmin would not respond until I went back and reran the ./setup.sh script.

Can someone tell me why?

when I installed I thought it would go in its defaults install location, but instead it installed in /webmin/webmin-1.260 right under root which is kinda convieniant for me but still to have to rerun setup.sh everytime I may have to reboot and/or after a certain amount of time passes and it idles out.... starting to be annoying. The idle issue occurrednot when I was watching a movie so I am monitoring it to see if it will happen again...

any info on this situation would be helpful....thnx! :huh:

Try:

netstat -tan

and look to see if port 10000 is active. If not, try:

chkconfig --list webmin

and see if it's on for any of the runlevels, of not:

chkconfig webmin on

and:

service webmin start

hope that helps.

k when I use the command you supplied me to check the port, I did not see the port 10000 in the list.

So I assume that my issue is related to that.

when I do the other commands I get this:

error reading information on service webmin: No such file or directory

So I reran the setup file and checked the ports. Now it is listed when I run the netstat command.

So I continue with the chkconfig --list webmin & chkconfig webmin on :

and get the same message again.

error reading information on service webmin: No such file or directory

service webmin start will not work obviously cuz I have to have the webmin as a listed service which for some reason it does not appear to be.

Is this because I have the folder and its files under / in my file system structure?

either Way I redid the install using the exact commands as is on the webmin page and rebooted my system

the install placed the files in this directory:

/usr/local/webmin

and redid all the commands again that you listed and I do not see the port 10000 open, nor does it appear as a service.

So for now I have made a script in / that reruns the setup. Only thing is that I cannot have this script startup with the system because it still needs a user to hit enter to really initialize the setup from when it asks "Config file directory [/etc/webmin]:"

so far this is the only way I can get around to it. Just a drag that I have to log in to my box and manually start it, but at the same time it is nice cuz it seems to be a cheap added security to my sys... :huh:

HAHAHAHAHA I feel like such a loser!

thanks for the help guys, i figured it out what I was doing wrong...

or did not do actually...

went in to webmin and saw from the config page @ the bottom that there is an option that allows me to set it to auto start with the system.....Hehehe

But thnx for the help especially wth the netstat command there.

And for sure if you can get that 3rd cd for drake 9.0 or 9.1 in general to upgrade I'd appreciate it!

guys rock!

:thumbs::thumbs: