Firefox Java plugin, how? [solved]

Rik

Thanks Luc,

Those instructions worked. I now realize that I had tried them before but had simply copied and pasted the command, without editing it for my installation.

Now I get the verification of the plugin working.

Rik

• 7 months later...

OK now that I have my wireless card working, I need to upgrade my Internet options.

First Java

Mozilla Firefox v 1.0.6

Konquerer v 3.4.2

None work with java

I tried this in Firefox

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#install

Will the new Firefox 2.0 allow me to link to Java automatically?

How do you install firefox 2.0?

PS

I was watching a program on the G4 network, this past Thanksgiving weekend.

They were talking about the evoultion of video game.

The program chattted with a lot of game programmers, and they all agreed that the DOS OS was too vigorous.

Too many commmands to follow.

The were mall more then pleased when Windows 95 was released because it was more visual, point and click.

Then followed 98, XP, and the future Vista.

bottom line, they all the expert computer programmers despised the command line beacause there were too many 'computer command lines' to remember.

Then comes along Linux, which stated that it will be easier to use and more powerful.

In my own opinion, Linux has taken us back to the Neantherthal age.

All these damn command lines and keywords.

I explictly downloaded the new java vversion to my downloads.

but I couldn't find it.

Even if I could find it, you have to do this, do that , then this and that, then make sure if that and this, and here and how much have you had to drink. if not, then go get more and do this and that .

Soon I felt like a dog chasing my own tail.

I follow all the instructions but, like Bill Gates says, point and click and install.

'

Put this in the rant page or ban me if you want.

I hav efound this forum page to be very useful.....................\

but still................

command line???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/

Linux???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

to install type all this in..............

@#$%TFVCGYUJHOYF$RFT&*I)OI&^RE$%^&*(Ib vtr5tghei9r0oigjfy476fwey7ujdfc

then it should wok, mine does

To jofg:

If you just want to "point and click" installs, Mandriva, like most major Linux distros, will pretty much let you do that now *if* you're willing to install everything from the Software Management GUI in Mandriva Control Center. And Firefox 2.0 will be released as an update for MDV2007 soon and will be a click-to-install app when it is.

Some other packages from other "outside" 3rd-party sources can be "point and click" installed by checking out the "Easy URPMI" link at the top right of any page of this forum, following the simple instructions and doing a little bit of copy-paste. Yes, some other 3rd-party packages do require some basic Linux knowledge to install and get working.

Of course this is true in the Windoze world also. A good example: I just wasted most of yesterday figuring out how to do a pretty tricky registry edit (I still HATE doing registry edits...they always makes me sweat bullets worrying about trashin' the system, no matter how many times I do 'em) on our Win2kPro workstations in order to get a newly installed must-have app working. Seems one of Billy Bob Gates' so-called security updates disabled a couple of necessary (for this app) functions, though it did absolutely zero for security. It was a total joke from a security standpoint, but a total PITA to remedy. Naturally, the software maker's tech support had no clue what the problem was, blamed Microsoft and told me to contact them for the fix. Had I been willing to pay MS tech support's exhorbitant fees (that will NEVER happen) I'd bet my house that they wouldn't have had a clue either, and would've told me to contact the software maufacturer.

IOW, I would've been stuck in the old tech-support circle-jerk and if I hadn't been able to do some fairly sophisticated trouble shooting and command line-type (hmmm...Linux-type?) stuff on my own I'd still have non-working - and very expensive - new software. Click-to-install easy though it may have been. Yeah, right. So don't tell me how easy software is to install on Windows - I spend more time fixing mucked-up software installs in Windows than in Linux. And when problems arise, I've found trouble shooting is much easier in Linux than Windoze.

Basically, let me put it to you this way:

If you want a really good operating system and want to learn at least a little of how to actually use a computer - spend some time to learn some Linux basics. Run the computer instead of it running you.

If you want to learn to just use a mouse - stick with Windows, be ready to spend money on a regular basis, put up with whatever Uncle Gates deems as worthy enough to push out the door and shut up and like it whether it works or not.

Edited by Crashdamage

If you want a really good operating system and want to learn at least a little of how to actually use a computer - spend some time to learn some Linux basics. Run the computer instead of it running you.

Point well taken.

I will continue to use Mandriva, of course.

But I got a little frustrated with all these commands.

Will definitely try to down load some Linux command tutorils now that I am up and running.

thanks

I understand. When I first came over from the Dark Side (Win98 back then) I had the same frutrated feelings you do. For n00bs sometimes it does seem like everything in Linux requires typing in commands, knowning "tricks", etc. I'd ask how to do something and get an answer that might have well been in Latin. So much of the advice I see given to n00bs fails to realize that often the guy with the problem has no knowledge of what a CLI is, much less how to use the seemingly foreign language commands offered as help. That's ok, I ain't mad at anyone, they're just trying to help as best they can and usually don't know how much or little the person asking knows.

But in reality it's fairly rare that more than a few basics are needed. Particularly once you get everything installed and setup, you'll probably find you almost never need to open a terminal unless you get so comfortable with the CLI you just like doing some things that way.

Hint: Install and get comfortable with using Midnight Commander. Much more than just a great file manager, MC is a terrific tool that put a GUI-friendly face on many things often done with commands from the CLI like creating links, editing files, etc, etc. Every new user should get famailiar with MC, if for no other reason than even if you trash X and can't run a GUI, since MC is actually a text-based app MC will still run without X so you have a familiar face to help make recovery tasks easy.