Virtualization Question...

I've been wanting to get into virtualization but I'm not sure what program to go with for Mandriva...money, useability, and processing speed are all factors. I know VMware isn't cheap, and I haven't heard great things about Virt PC. Does anyone have anything to say about Parallels Workstation 2.1? I know it's the most affordable of the bunch, but does that mean I'm going to be losing quality?

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

There's also Win4Lin as well, which is supposed to be quite good. Win4Lin Pro is the one for Windows 2000, XP etc. There's also qemu, but I found it to be slow, but it's free.

I mostly use vmware, it's really good.

I think it depends on what you want it for. For games, nothing beats Cedega really. For basic Win apps WINE is very good. For MS Office (and other things like Macromedia Flash) Crossover Office is the business.

Right tool for the right job ;)

Parallels is qemu core with VMware GUI, at mid-price! :P

Ain't bad at all for the price, but it still has problems with removable devices (it has to be run as root to get focus of USB stuff), CD/DVD burning isn't supported, and there are RAM and CPU limitations. But if you can cope with qemu, then parallels is just easier to use and a bit more ironed out.

VMware is still the champ, and now the Player and the server edition are offered for free.

VMWare is offering them for free because the modern hardware (dualcore newgen CPU's) will offer native virtualization, and so they have now their eyes on more advanced products in their range, which still have no match.

VMware player is equally good to VMware workstation, provided that you can create a virtual machine by your own means- because the player can operate a VM, but not create one. If you already have a virtual machine, or a friend of you can create one for you (using your legit windows CD, of course) then its much better than any other virtualization software.

Edited by scarecrow

Yes, otherwise everyone would have vmware's products for free, which is why you can't create them but only run them.

You can create a machine, and then boot and install it with just using the vmware player.

Some Linuxes (like Damn Small) offer free virtual machines, which are fully operable with the player. Windows of course doesn't, although it wouldn't surprise me to see windoze95 being offered as VM 's for free in the future! :P

Edited by scarecrow

are there any other free programs that can be used to create a VM? or I guess even a free trial would work, right? what's this cedega thing? parallels? other vmware products? xen? these are all names I've been hearing.

Cedega used to be called WineX - it's based on WINE and aimed specifically at gamers, but also runs many other Win apps. I could tell you all about it, or you could go here: http://www.transgaming.com/ or here: http://www.transgaming.org/