kpdf default font

uralmasha

I discovered the unthinkable: kpdf chooses self fonts in a pdf document. And kghostview and acrobat, too, in fact :blink: . They all use fdifferent fonts for the "normal" text: some ugly sans-serif, Vera serif/Chancery and Vera narrow/Palladio, respectively, if I guess right from the appearance.

My question is: where can I indicate my preference for a certain font face, if I have to do it at all? I am particularly interested in kpdf as this is what I like the most. This setting is system-wide, as other users see the same.

Any ideas?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

It's not kpdf, its the .pdf file you are opening. When creating it, there's an option to embed the fonts in the .pdf file. If they aren't embedded, then the reader uses the system defaults, which may look completely different than the ones used to build the .pdf.

Normally, font size and appearance of some 90% of the online pdf documents isn't much of a problem in any *nix OS that has the free set of MS ttf fonts installed- if you haven't installed them already, do it now.

Edited by scarecrow

... hm. What makes PDF different from a wep page then. It still sticks to the pre-defined layout (line-breaks and pages), which makes the paper I am viewing very ugly in KPDF :(

I understand, "system defaults" may be taken from different places, as the same document renders differently in different viewers. I tried changing KDE's "default" font to a serif one, that did not help.

Any idea which file to edit to change substitution rules?

Update: I installed MS fonts and restarted xfs. No changes.

Edited by uralmasha