Shifty desktop icons [solved]

payasam

Each time I boot up MDV 2006 (KDE), I find that some icons on the desktop have jumped away from where I had left them. Annoying for an "everything in its place" old fellow. The "align to grid" option is checked.

You said "right clicking" the first time, Tyme, and I saw that. Right clicking on an icon does indeed bring up a menu, but that menu has to do only with that particular icon.

obviously ;) i just thought maybe kde, in it's infinite usability wisdom (or lack there of ;) ), put the lock option in the icon menu so that you could only lock one icon at a time. but like i said, i'm not a kde user, so that was a complete guess ;) sorry i don't have an answer to your issue :sad:

Perhaps "finite" would be more realistic than "infinite", Tyme. Had KDE been possessed of the infinite asininity you have in mind, I doubt that anyone would have used it. I'm sure that some people will wish to individually lock six or sixty icons in place: but it seems likely that that "some" will not be a substantial number, again for the reason that infinite asininity is a scarce commodity.

It's KDE 3.4 so doesn't have a lock item. I'm not sure why either, I just use the Align to grid, and only have Home, System and Trash on the desktop. I have had it happen before when CD-ROM icons or other icons were on the desktop and it was something to do with the length of the name that was causing the problem.

I cut names short, Ian, so that cannot be the difficulty. Because I find it tedious to hunt for a program through the menus, I keep the most often used ones on the desktop. No data files. Good to see the monkey again, I might add.

Dunno if this is a Mandriva "feature", but the lock icon thing is part of kdebase, and should be present since 3.3.0 or so. I can even recall a request at kde mailing lists about the ability of locking selected icons, and not the whole desktop- which AFAIK isn't implemented yet.

Please find the file /home/payasam/.kde/share/config/kdestoprc and open it with a texteditor.

Isn't there a "Desktop Icons" subsession looking like:

[Desktop Icons]

LockIcons=true

Preview=imagethumbnail

ShowHidden=false

If it isn't, then somehow the context menu items are truncated/messed... try just deleting the above file (outside KDE) and relogging in it.

Edited by scarecrow

I'll look at the file, Scarecrow, but I wouldn't know what to do. I suspect you wrote "If it is" in place of "If it isn't" -- and the rest of the para is way above my head. How do I delete the file outside KDE and relog in it?

Elsewhere, I came across a reference to /usr/share/config/kdeglobals, which was said to have grid spacing specifications. Well, the one on my system didn't have them, which suggests that an earlier version of KDE had been spoken about.

I think there *is* messing up of the context menu. In 10.1 I could send an icon to the waste bin, which I never did, or else delete it outright. In 2006, I have to go into a terminal to delete such things.